CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Buff1969
Level 2: Rookie

Using second modem to extend wireless network

Answered

Hi,

Telstra just sent me a new Smart Modem Gen 2 (thanks Telstra).  We have quite a big house so the wireless network struggles at the furthest point away from the modem.

Is there some way I can use the old Telstra modem as wireless network booster?

Thanks in advance

Buff Daddy
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Using second modem to extend wireless network

Yes you can if you have a LAN installed between the main modems location and were you are locating the second modem as a WiFi access point. The easiest way is to set the second modem in bridge mode and connect the WAN port of second modem to LAN port of first modem.
Once second modem is in Bridge mode you will no longer have access to its GUI until a factory reset is performed. So if if you want to change WiFi SSID and password do this before setting second modem to Bridge mode. For best results WiFi SSID and password should be same as main modem.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

If you have a Technicolor modem log into old modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > Network Mode.

If your old modem is a F@st 5355 log into old modem and go to Advanced > Gateway settings > Port Mode 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

Yes you can if you have a LAN installed between the main modems location and were you are locating the second modem as a WiFi access point. The easiest way is to set the second modem in bridge mode and connect the WAN port of second modem to LAN port of first modem.
Once second modem is in Bridge mode you will no longer have access to its GUI until a factory reset is performed. So if if you want to change WiFi SSID and password do this before setting second modem to Bridge mode. For best results WiFi SSID and password should be same as main modem.

Buff1969

cf4,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have a LAN between the two locations so that's good.

How do I set the second modem in bridge mode?

Thanks!

Buff Daddy
Accepted Solution

If you have a Technicolor modem log into old modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > Network Mode.

If your old modem is a F@st 5355 log into old modem and go to Advanced > Gateway settings > Port Mode 

MisterQ
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

You can also buy Wifi Range extenders - I have seen these as cheap as $10 on ebay for a new Xiaomi.
Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@MisterQ wrote:
You can also buy Wifi Range extenders - I have seen these as cheap as $10 on ebay for a new Xiaomi.

Or a Smart WiFi Booster

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Buff1969

cf4,

Sorry it's taking so long to get back to you. Thanks for all your help - have got it up and running beautifully!
Buff Daddy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more