2 weeks ago my work VPN Connection stopped working (I work from home). I have Telstra Cable broadband & a Telstra Gateway max modem.
I have followed some of the suggestions on this forum with no luck.
I can hotspot my laptop to my work phone & access VPN with no issue. I tried using another laptop, same issue so it’s not the PC. I turned the modem off for 2 days, I checked my firewall setting and it’s set to none. Still no luck.
I did an NS lookup & it’s timing out when connected to the wifi via the gateway max. However when hotspotting to my work phone it connects straight away.
I contacted Telstra Platinum team & they said they don’t deal with VPN. I then contacted Telstra faults & they couldn’t help me either, saying it’s a VPN issue and check with the VPN provider. I don’t believe the issue is with the VPN. No one else in my office is having an issues with their VPN.
Any assistance would be much appreciated. My last option is buying a different modem.
Was this helpful?
It could be Telstra broadband protect blocking the connection. You could try using a custom DNS on the laptop which will bypass Telstra broadband protect 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 (Google public DNS)
See link below for how to change DNS on a Windows PC
Not subscribe to Telstra broadband protect. The VPN is through a work pc which blocks any of these changes unless ur an admin user. I think it’s the modem blocking it as it was working two weeks before and works when I blue tooth to my work mobile. Thank for the suggestion though.
All of the current Telstra Internet plans come with Broadband protect which blockes some sites. Your work site might be one of the sites blocked.
They tried to charge me for this and I cancelled it so unless they automatically apply this with out charging u then I am not sure this would apply in my scenario. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
Telstra Broadband protect is free with Telstra Internet Plans now, so it may check to make sure it hasn't been reapplied. It doesn't change anything on your computer, it is applied at the connection level of your account (ie works directly on your internet connection at the account level).
Telstra confirm no broadband protect enabled on my connection. Logged another fault call. Had somebody from Geeks2U check out things and he used his phone as a hot for my pc on the vodaphone network and VPN work so I think it’s the modem. Had Telstra call back tonight as I have raised this as a level 2 complaint. Chris the case managers resolution was for me to go back to my IT dept and check the VPN setting as he thinks those are blocking the Telstra servers. Safe to say I was not impressed and said I wanted it check out from Telstra side but all he did was argue with me. Didn’t even do any investigation. I said I want it escalated to your IT Dept but he said that would take 2 weeks and I said I don’t care of it takes 2 years! Getting no where so now I am going to the telecommunications ombudsman. Maybe they will check their side once the receive the complaint. Thanks to all for your help so far.