CrowdSupport®
TheNeedForHelp
Level 2: Rookie

WAN not connect to modem (smart gen 2)

Answered

So I am dealing with this annoying problem where the basic idea is that the WAN/DSL light on the smart gen 2 is not on when connect from the NBN router to the modem using the yellow and red cable. The NBN status is all green and no flashing, and everything on the smart gen modem 2 besides WAN/DSL are green.

But when I use the NBN router by using the cable from Router to Laptop, it works and allows the fast NBN connection. Since the WAN/DSL lights are not on, the smart gen is only allowing the wireless backup 4g but I need the NBN.

I've already had mulitple talks with Telstra customer support where (has been about 3 times now) couldn't solve the problem and elevated the issue to level 2 telstra support. However they still haven't sent me to level 2 support so that they can fix it, according to the customer support people I talked to could not solve. 

So how this happened was due to a thunderstruck where the modem we used was affected somehow and couldn't turn on anymore. Again with that called customer support (this was the first time, it's been 3 weeks now of not fixing the issue, having to repeat the same thing) they gave us a replacement. We got it,  connected everything and yes internet... I guess? Got everything connected following the manual and connected everything. But noticed the WAN/DSL light isn't turning on and that the backup was the wireless thing. We called again and turns out it was because the replacement apparently isn't registered for the NBN and so told them the serial number of the model and such. Still to this moment of writing the WAN/DSL is not working and we still haven't been called by a level 2 support to finally fix this. (all they have to do is register the modem for the nbn to allow??? so i can finally have a fast nbn speed, wirelessly)

Now i have been sitting connected to the router by cable on laptop still waiting for a fix.

I have NBN HFC, UNI-D1 on the back when connected to the modem flashes orange as well...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: WAN not connect to modem (smart gen 2)

The fact that there is only an IPv6 six address does not indicate a problem when modem is on 4G backup. On 4G backup there is only an IPv6 address because modem is configured to only obtain an IPv6 address when on 4G backup. If modem was connecting to NBN modem there would be both an IPv6 and IPv4 address.

Since the Thunder strike has the NBN modem been replaced. The Thunder strike might have also damaged the UNI-DI port on the NBN modem. I have seen the exact same symptoms after a Thunder strike. A computer would work when connected to the UNI-D1 port but the WAN/DSL light would not turn green when WAN port of Telstra modem was connected. The fault was fixed when NBN modem was replaced.The PC is connecting at 100Mbps (UNI-D1 Light orange). The modem's WAN port is capable of 1000Mbps and tries to connect at this speed (UNI-D1 Light is green on a 1000Mbps connection) and due to fault fails.

The only way you will get this fixed is to lodge a complaint and request a Tech visit. There are instructions at link below on how to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

The modem does not have to be registered for an NBN connection. I suspect the NBN modem might be faulty.

If you connect a PC via Ethernet cable to the UNI-D1 port of NBN modem does the PC have fast internet connection?

TheNeedForHelp

Yes it does, about 40 mbps, but when connect NBN to Smart Gen 2 modem doesn't connect flashing orange on UNI-D1 port

What model modem do you have and what is its firmware no? Firmware and model no are displayed on LHS of log in screen.

TheNeedForHelp

Firmware Number
0.09.11r
Gateway Make Model
Arcadyan LH1000

If you connect the WAN DSL port on the Telstra Modem does the WAN/DSL light turn green?

TheNeedForHelp

The WAN/DSL light does not turn green still off

It looks like the modem is faulty. The WAN/DSL light should have turned green.

It might Aldo be the cable. Have you tried another cable, any normal LAN cable can be used?

If not the cable and Telstra don't replace modem lodge a complaint.

TheNeedForHelp

I've tried multiple cables and still doesn't work. I have also have taken the cable from the smart gen modem plugged into itself, from the Red side into Wan and yellow into Lan port which does turn the WAN/DSL light on green. But from the NBN, connect the yellow side into nbn box UNI-D1 port to red into smart gen WAN port does not work and not turn on WAN/DSL Light to green, off.

TheNeedForHelp

The modem is compatible. There are a lot of people with an HFC connection using a the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 Smart modem with no problems. I have seen one or two post with the same problem were the WAN/DSL light did not turn green on a HFC connection but the problem was found to be caused by a faulty UNI-DI port on the NBN modem.

On my previous post i omitted LAN port It should have read.

"f you connect the WAN DSL port on the Telstra Modem to LAN port does the WAN/DSL light turn green?"

I am sorry I didn't realize till now that I had omitted LAN port.

TheNeedForHelp

IPv4 Disconnected and IPv6 is connected, does that mean anything?

TheNeedForHelp

If I connect the WAN DSL port on Telstra to Lan port it turns the WAN/DSL light to green. However, again if I connect the NBN cable connected to WAN of smart gen 2 modem  it doesn't work, not turning green and still off

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The fact that there is only an IPv6 six address does not indicate a problem when modem is on 4G backup. On 4G backup there is only an IPv6 address because modem is configured to only obtain an IPv6 address when on 4G backup. If modem was connecting to NBN modem there would be both an IPv6 and IPv4 address.

Since the Thunder strike has the NBN modem been replaced. The Thunder strike might have also damaged the UNI-DI port on the NBN modem. I have seen the exact same symptoms after a Thunder strike. A computer would work when connected to the UNI-D1 port but the WAN/DSL light would not turn green when WAN port of Telstra modem was connected. The fault was fixed when NBN modem was replaced.The PC is connecting at 100Mbps (UNI-D1 Light orange). The modem's WAN port is capable of 1000Mbps and tries to connect at this speed (UNI-D1 Light is green on a 1000Mbps connection) and due to fault fails.

The only way you will get this fixed is to lodge a complaint and request a Tech visit. There are instructions at link below on how to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now