Highlighted
Opa53
Level 2: Rookie

Where can I site my nbn modem?

Answered

My current ADSL2+ modem sits in the kitchen near the phone outlet there, and is best placed to suit all the wifi demands of the occupants. However, we will be getting a new HFC connection into the house because the conduit supplying the existing copper phone lines to our southern garage wall is blocked. The sub-contractor has buried a line under the driveway, under the front lawn and under the rose garden so that the new box sits on the norther wall outside the front lounge. That site is some 8 metres away from where the current modem sits.

I have spent some time this morning online and on the phone with various Telstra Support personnel, none of whom could answer my question. The last consultant asked his supervisor who told him that the Modem would be installed as near as possible to the junction box on the outside wall.

That was not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to know if I could have the new modem installed where the current modem is sited. Does anyone in the community know how much internal cabling Telstra will provide with a new nbn connection?

Yours in confusion and/or hope!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Where can I site my nbn modem?

Do you have a HFC connection in your house already? Just wanting to double check as you mention cabling has been done on the outside. You get a choice within reason of where the NBN tech install the connection point in the house. You can request it goes in the kitchen, but that will depend if its possible to get the cable there and you may be charged for additional work required. If the phone cable is in a pvc pipe internally in the wall they may be able to reuse that to avoid running further conduit.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

With distance there is always a loss of signal and bandwidth. Though on NBN HFC the max speed currently available is 100mbps down and 40mbps down, the wifi mesh disks will be able to provide those speed within a reasonable distance. Ideally with the disks one connects to your modem and the other is located centrally in the house.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

Do you have a HFC connection in your house already? Just wanting to double check as you mention cabling has been done on the outside. You get a choice within reason of where the NBN tech install the connection point in the house. You can request it goes in the kitchen, but that will depend if its possible to get the cable there and you may be charged for additional work required. If the phone cable is in a pvc pipe internally in the wall they may be able to reuse that to avoid running further conduit.

Opa53

Thanks for that prompt response, 343GuiltySpark.
I don't yet have a HFC connection in the house but the nbn subbies have already connected the outside of the house to the pillar next door. Other nbn subbies were in the street last week running coax through the pit next door and yet another lot of subbies installed a pedestal to provide power to the network, so I hope a connection in the house is not far away.
Thanks for that advice. I think my problem is going to be the degree of difficulty in running cable the 8 metres from the front lounge to the kitchen. The nbn box outside the lounge is next to the stairs and under the second story bedrooms, so it might take a little effort. If it's not too expensive I am happy to pay the difference.
There are no phone lines to that part of the house, so we cannot follow that route to the kitchen. It would have been better for us if they had tried harder to follow the phone lines into the house; they pushed a wire down without success and then tried to flush the conduit out with water without success. The route the phone lines follow into the house goes under a cement fence and 6 metres of paving, and the subbies did not want to get involved in tearing up that stuff.
I guess I will have to wait for a knock on the door.
Thanks again.

NBN techs wont install things inside the house until you order and internet service from a retail service provider, i.e Telstra. If it gets to complicated to do the wiring, you may be interested in the telstra wifi mesh disks. One disk connects to your modem in the lounge then the other sits in the kitchen. Will give you better coverage over all and less hassle with the NBN install. Just food for thought. Here is a link to take a look at them https://accessories.telstra.com.au/telstra-smart-wi-fi-booster

Opa53

In response to 343GuiltySpark
Thanks for that suggestion; I forgot about that option.It sounds like a cost effective solution if there is no loss of bandwidth or signal strength. Is it possible to have a wifi mesh that covers both the kitchen and the study from the front lounge?
Accepted Solution

With distance there is always a loss of signal and bandwidth. Though on NBN HFC the max speed currently available is 100mbps down and 40mbps down, the wifi mesh disks will be able to provide those speed within a reasonable distance. Ideally with the disks one connects to your modem and the other is located centrally in the house.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now