CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Why does the 4G backup the V7610 have to drop every hour?

I have a Smart Business modem V7610 FW V2.2.2.28, the NBN has been down for 5 days since Saturday and while the 4G has kicked in, a very poor service in my area. Every hour the 4G backup drops for about 5 minutes. Is this scheduled, does it have something to do with the DHCP lease only being for an hour? If so why the heck does it completely drop the connection?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why does the 4G backup the V7610 have to drop every hour?

It definitely sounds like it is to do with the DHCP lease. It completely drops the connection as the lease gets renewed as the IP address gets freed up at the end of the period and you are allocated the first available IP address (usually the same one) for the next period.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Why does the 4G backup the V7610 have to drop every hour?

In agreement with Jupiter but surprised at shortness of lease. Your Telstra assigned IP address for the 4G LTE Dongle may also be governed by an APN classification in the Telstra Mobile Network which determines how your IP address operates - not sure if this currently applies to existing customers - there seems to be a variety of APN classifications that can be applied e.g four of these are -  time out after 15 mins idle time, time out with a 2 hour idle time, dynamic real IP address ( coded for GPTEXB3 telstra.extranet - assume means public IP for Small Business Users) and Telstra Wireless IP WAN and Fixed IP (Corporate).

May pay to check with Telstra Business as to what code they have assigned to your mobile service APN (Access Point Name) and have them comment on why regular drop outs are occurring. 

I can't see any setting in the V7610 that shows you validation of the type of 4G LTE APN assignment is actually active in the network - the modem shows telstra.extranet which I assume relates to how the modem should communicate to the network but would be subject to the GPTEXB3 code being set in the Network by Telstra.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more