Highlighted
Humbleguy
Level 3: Gumshoe

WiFi test shows unknown extender & throughput

Answered
I ran a speed test on my home wifi connection and it has uncovered a throughput that I’m lost to determine what might acting as that on my home network unless it’s my modem that is hooked to my new NBN device perhaps? The test also showed an extender that I have no knowledge of.
Anyone???
There are no problems, only solutions.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi test shows unknown extender & throughput

Thanks for providing extra information. I take you were using the Telstra’s Home Dashboard app to do your measurements. The Telstra Home Dashboard app is a bit confusing for the normal person.

The throughput is the speed of the WiFi link between your device and the modem. The throughput speed depends on strength of the WiFi signal and the capability of wiFi radio in your device and is not effected by the link speed of the NBN connection.  The delay is the delay between your device and the modem and not the delay of the link.

On my NBN link the link speed is 42/12 but when I do a speed test the throughput is 170 Mbps and the speed of the connection is 40.5 Mbps down and 12.2 Mbps up. The Booster linkage is also shown to be good although I don’t have a booster.

I can’t explain why your connection type is shown as ADSL but that might be a glitch in the system. Or it could be that when you transferred to NBN you elected to remain on your old ADSL plan instead of taking up one of the NBN bundles. You can check this by checking what plan you are on in Telstra My Account.

The modem is not Telling you it is in Bridge mode. That is the name on the switch that if you click on it will set the modem to Bridge mode. If the modem was in Bridge mode you would not be able to access the modem’s settings.

There are no security issues you are connected to your modem and these results do not indicate your connection is not secure.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

Could you provide a bit more detail?

1. What is the speed of the throughput?
2. What makes you think there is an extender on your network?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Humbleguy

Just checking back in to see if you need any further help or support?

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Humbleguy
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Stef.
Yes, this is a bit mystifying to me. I ran a speed test on the network I believe to be my home network & it shows as the one I have set up, but as I stated earlier it is showing me a throughput & booster that I have no knowledge of on my network.
The connection is also telling me that I am connected to a Telstra Gateway Max-ADSL when my plan is NBN. (I am doing this test while connected via Wifi to a modem that is connected to an NBN network device which is quite new)
Under the Wifi quality the throughput is running @ 72Mbps with 3ms delay.The “booster linkage” is said to be “Good”.(no speed given).
Yet under the internet speed section the download speed of my connection is @48.2Mbps & upload speed is @ 17Mbps.
So the throughput is apparently running faster than my Telstra Gateway Max to which it is supposed to be transmitting it’s data from/to.
This is purely my assumption as I am pretty stumped by what I’m seeing with this information.
When logged into the webpage for the modem I am connected to, I noticed that the modem is telling me that it is in bridged mode, but when I click that tile I am asked if I want to go into bridged mode which has me confused as well.
Any advice to help ensure that my connection is secure would be greatly appreciated because at the moment,I’m not too sure if I’m not having my network data being transmitted unencrypted through a unsecured modem that is a slave to a man in the middle attack sort of hack.
There are no problems, only solutions.
Accepted Solution

Thanks for providing extra information. I take you were using the Telstra’s Home Dashboard app to do your measurements. The Telstra Home Dashboard app is a bit confusing for the normal person.

The throughput is the speed of the WiFi link between your device and the modem. The throughput speed depends on strength of the WiFi signal and the capability of wiFi radio in your device and is not effected by the link speed of the NBN connection.  The delay is the delay between your device and the modem and not the delay of the link.

On my NBN link the link speed is 42/12 but when I do a speed test the throughput is 170 Mbps and the speed of the connection is 40.5 Mbps down and 12.2 Mbps up. The Booster linkage is also shown to be good although I don’t have a booster.

I can’t explain why your connection type is shown as ADSL but that might be a glitch in the system. Or it could be that when you transferred to NBN you elected to remain on your old ADSL plan instead of taking up one of the NBN bundles. You can check this by checking what plan you are on in Telstra My Account.

The modem is not Telling you it is in Bridge mode. That is the name on the switch that if you click on it will set the modem to Bridge mode. If the modem was in Bridge mode you would not be able to access the modem’s settings.

There are no security issues you are connected to your modem and these results do not indicate your connection is not secure.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now