CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi Extender

Hi

I am experiencing a really wiered problem with my Wi-Fi extenders. I have a Telstra gateway NBN modem and for the past 6 months, have successfully connected to two Wi-Fi extenders and use them without problems. I have one Netgear AC1200 and another Linksys RE6300.

For the past few weeks both extenders fail to connect to the Telstra modem. The fact that its suddenly happened to both Wi-Fi extenders leads me to believe the issue is the Telstra modem. The Wi-Fi extenders can no longer pair with the modem. I have tried the standard approach of resetting and restarting the Telstra modem and Wi-Fi extenders but it failed to fix the problem. At random every 3-4 days both extenders to occasionally connect to the Telstra modem and everything starts working again. I also noticed certain devices can still connect to the Telstra modem directl6 still and other devices can't e.g. my Samsung note 9 connects fine, but my desktop PC with a Wi-Fi toggle can't find the Telstra modem nor can my Ring door bell.

This is really frustrating, has anyone else experienced this sort of issue with Telstra's NBN modem? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tawfeeqh

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Wifi Extender

Those symptoms indicate the 2.4GHz WiFi on the modem is faulty.. Most WiFi doorbells and some laptop WiFi dongles on support 2.4 GHz WiFi.

To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty install a WiFi Analyser app on the note 9 and check if the modem is transmitting in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.

Highlighted

Great thanks. I will try this out tonight and report back. I have downloafed Telstras home dashboard app which has Wi-Fi analyser but also have an app called Speedtest. 

Is there any particular Wi-Fi analyser you recommend I should use

Highlighted

I use the WiFi Analyser by Kevin Yaun.

When in the graph mode it is not obvious how to switch WiFi bands. To switch bands tapp on the top left of the Y axis, the graph toggles between the two bands.

Highlighted

You were correct. The Telstra modem was not transmitting the 2.4ghz signal. I rang Telstra and they advised approx 3 months back their Generation 2 modems had a fault and stopped transmitting the 2.4ghz signal. Telstra remotely updated the firmware of the modem and all my devices are now connecting to it and working. Happy Days Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help on this one, much appreciated

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more