CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Skinniebil
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi modem

Answered
The Telstra wifi modem drops wifi connection every couple of hours. A power reset fixes the problem. Any long term solutions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Skinniebil
Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi modem

It is a netgear modem supplied by Telstra. I have determined that the modem is a fault and telstra is supplying a new modem tomorrow.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi skinnie,

Which model of modem are you using? Telstra has supplied a lot of different modems over the years.

There can be a number of issues which might be causing this issue but first things first I would suggest seeing if the modem is configured to a manual Wi-Fi channel or if it's using an auto-scan feature.  That feature is supposed to find the best channel to operate on but sometimes this can cause more issues than it fixes.  If it is setup for auto-scan then I'd suggest trying a manual channel - I've always found 1, 6 and 11 to be the best/clearest channels but if anyone else nearby has the same idea then this can cause the signals to overlap and this can cause dropouts.  Anyway let us know what model of modem (and preferably who manufacturered it for Telstra since they don't manufacture modems themselves) and we'll see what else we can do to help! Smiley Happy

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Skinniebil
Accepted Solution

It is a netgear modem supplied by Telstra. I have determined that the modem is a fault and telstra is supplying a new modem tomorrow.
kelliott75
Level 1: Cadet

Hello

I am worried that I have had someone hacking into my wifi modem. We have naked cable and it would not link with the computer tonight. A internet pop up asked us to click on it that looked like a telstra site that had my username and password. It directed us to a site that was a telstra demdex site??

Anyone that can shed light I would appreciate. I am looking at resetting our modem??

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi kelliott75

It's unlikely that someone has hacked into your modem - it sounds like it's just a case that your modem has experienced an issue with it's wi-fi connection. In which case a simple restart of the modem will get it back up and running. 

In regards to the site you've received - was it called captive portal? Or the modem interface page - where you can change your settings? Either would use your BigPond email address and password - and can pop up when there's been an issue with your modem.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Swaine
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, A couple of months agao I installed a new Netgear modem that Telstra supplied and have had nothing but trouble since. It is impossible to get hold of telstra to fix the problem (surprise??). It is a Telstra Gateway Max. with the ability for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz.on the front of the modem neither of the above GHz's are illumiated. it appears the major problem is Wifi however inconsistent LAN as well. just hopeless really.  Any ideas?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Swaine,

Sounds like the Wi-Fi networks are disabled. Have you pressed the Wi-Fi On/Off button on the front of the modem to see if that turned the lights on? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now