CrowdSupport®
SteveO2000
Level 2: Rookie

Windows 10 PC won't find wifi after install of NBN modem, every other device connects fine

Answered
Hi my Telstra modem won't show up on my window 10 PC even though it is quite near it, no signal blocking items, all other devices throughout the whole hose connect fine?? Any ideas? I even did a windows reinstall and have replaced the wifi dongle to no avail.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10 PC won't find wifi after install of NBN modem, every other device connects fine

After it connects to the Modem via WiFi, run the Troubleshooter (right click on WiFi symbol and click "Troubleshoot Problems"). That normally resolves any residual addressing issues (which usually cause the no internet problem).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Windows 10 PC won't find wifi after install of NBN modem, every other device connects fine

You may need to log in to your modem and turn off band steering. This will split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks into separate networks and your computer should be able to see them. Some dongles do not like the band steering.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveO2000

Ok I just tried that but didn't make any difference, it's frustrating because it's should be a full signal where it is.

Go in to Network and Sharing Center, then Change Adapter Settings.
Open the Connect/Disconnect dialog through there and then show available networks.

If that can't see them, then select the Dongle and click on Diagnose This Connection.
SteveO2000

It shows me lots of other networks, Telstra air and other people's modems in the area, it just doesn't show mine.
SteveO2000

I seem to have the network now, full signal, connected, but not getting any internet??
Highlighted
SteveO2000

Even though it says connected with internet access, I'm not getting anything, tried chrome and edge browsers, can't even get into mygateway/login
?
SteveO2000

Also it works fine it I connect a LAN cable, so there's definitely internet to be had.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Try changing the WiFi channel in the modems WiFi settings for the WiFi band that the PC is connected to.
Accepted Solution

After it connects to the Modem via WiFi, run the Troubleshooter (right click on WiFi symbol and click "Troubleshoot Problems"). That normally resolves any residual addressing issues (which usually cause the no internet problem).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now