CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

Wireless extender

Answered
Hi.
I am just wondering about a wireless extender.
We have a telstra gateway max. My parents live next door and have just purchased a smart TV. They use our wifi signal on their ipads and phones, but the signal doea not seem to be strong enough dor the new smart TV. If i get a wirelss extender and plug it in at their place will this help with the signal? I really hope that this will help. At this stage they cannot get their own internet.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Wireless extender

If you can find a plug at their place close enough to your house to get a good signal that would be the best place to put it.

I mean that the extender needs to be plugged in within the boundary of your existing wifi signal. It has to be able to get a good enough signal itself to boost and extend the signal out further.

So whatever room has a power point closest to your place (wherever the best signal for your wifi is) is likely to be the best place to put it.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

If the extender is plugged in on the boundary of your wifi signal and is able to receive a good enough signal itself to boost, then it shouldn't be a problem from a technical standpoint.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

Thanks,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by boundry? Should i plug the extender in at their place or mine?

thanks

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you can find a plug at their place close enough to your house to get a good signal that would be the best place to put it.

I mean that the extender needs to be plugged in within the boundary of your existing wifi signal. It has to be able to get a good enough signal itself to boost and extend the signal out further.

So whatever room has a power point closest to your place (wherever the best signal for your wifi is) is likely to be the best place to put it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks! Ill give it a go
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Quick word of advise, Wireless extenders are very poor at speeds and network performance.

If you put the wifi extender in a zone where you only get 50% signal. Any devices that connect to that extender will only get 25% of the original speed.

The reason is the wifi extender has to retransmit the original signal and it does this at half the speed.

That is why I prefer using PowerLine Adapters\HomePlug and then use a seperate wireless network which will give you better speeds
Highlighted

However in this case they can't use a powerline adaptor Glenn because they are in entirely separate houses. So a Wifi extender/booster is their only real option.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more