CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Xbox 360 Live Connectivity Issues w/ New CG3100D-2 Modem

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my internet package from a 100gb at 20mbp/s to the Ultimate Liberty 3.0 100mb/ps at 200gb. With the new upgrade we received the new modem

model no is NETGEAR Wireless Cable Gateway CG3100D-2

Now, The problem. Before upgrading we had a smaller white modem (I can name model no. if required) and that worked 100% fine in terms of connection and compatibility with all devices.

Currently my Xbox 360 (w/ Built in wifi) can connect but suffers dramatic 'lag' and makes any gameplay online unbearable and will often 'lag' out of a game and xbox live party chats.

I am 100% certain that is it the modem as everything else connects fine with optimal speeds of 60mb/ps on wifi. Not to mention the fact that the previous modem worked perfectly with the Xbox 360 and allowed it full access and speeds.

I have navigated through the web interface for the modem and adjusted every setting I could think of that could possibly  make for a better connection, but nothing. I read up and found out the the port 3074 was used by the Xbox 360 and I could see it in use on the web access screen.

I forwarded the ports for 3074 and 88 as that was also said to be used but this resulted with no change. I noticed that forwarding is rendered useless as the modem seams to change the ip of every connected device daily due to the Dynamic IP option.

I have also enable the UPnP option on the modem and it seams to be doing it's job and it posts the Xbox 360 connection as follows:

Active: Yes Protocol: UDP Int. Port: 3074 Ext. Port: 3074 Ip Address: 192.168.0.7

MAC Filtering also lists the same IP as the Xbox 360 as a 'Trusted Device' so I would have thought it would allow it to pass through the port correctly and with ease?........

Current Modem Settings/Information:

The current security option enabled for the modem is: WPA2-PSK [AES]

I have disabled WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)

Channel: 11

802.11 Mode: 11b/g/n

Bandwidth: 20Mhz

ALG Options:

All options are checked except for 'SIP'.

If more details are required please askSmiley Happy

Thanks in advance, Jack.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Xbox 360 Live Connectivity Issues w/ New CG3100D-2 Modem

Can't remember if the Xbox has an Ethernet port, can you try this to rule out any issues?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

It does however I am using the built in wifi wireless to connect to the modem. I just tried disabling the UPnP as some say it slows the ping, and it did reduce lag but it is still there none the less.
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

My point being to rule out a WiFi issue, please connect via Ethernet Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

The modem is located in an area where there is no room to bring in the xbox or a monitor:/ My guess is that the new modem isn't granting 100% access to the ports necessary. Our last modem didn't have all the new features that this one did such as UPnP. Is there a white list that has to be conquered first? Is there a feature that needs to be changed such as dynamic/static ip?
I have one last question. Would changing the security type eg. WEP do anything?
Highlighted

Ok so I just swapped the modems over for a test and the previous white modem we had before works fine wirelessly with my Xbox and pcs. The new black modem also is receiving frequent drop outs roughly every half hour and today its been out for at least 6 hours ans I've tried resetting the modem, turning it off. Now all devices do connect to the black modem but there is no internet connection and in the modem web page it states internet access as denied.
The older modem however works fine and I've done it multiple times and it is the black modem that seams to be rejecting the internet connection for some reason, the white connects and transmits over wifi fine. I think I may have to call Telstra support and get them to deliver a new modem because I've been without internet for most of the day and it is ridiculous. I had to send this from my phoneSmiley Sad
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@leboscaiolo wrote:
Ok so I just swapped the modems over for a test and the previous white modem we had before works fine wirelessly with my Xbox and pcs. The new black modem also is receiving frequent drop outs roughly every half hour and today its been out for at least 6 hours ans I've tried resetting the modem, turning it off. Now all devices do connect to the black modem but there is no internet connection and in the modem web page it states internet access as denied.
The older modem however works fine and I've done it multiple times and it is the black modem that seams to be rejecting the internet connection for some reason, the white connects and transmits over wifi fine. I think I may have to call Telstra support and get them to deliver a new modem because I've been without internet for most of the day and it is ridiculous. I had to send this from my phoneSmiley Sad

@leboscaiolo,

just want to check something with you, are you suggesting the following on this last post:

- White Netgear CG814W gateway suppliedy by us (Telstra BigPond) is still working, even for the internet traffic?

IF the above is right, then what it means for the new DOCSIS 3 VCG3100D-2 gateway you have, is currently NOT activated yet against the Cable Ultimate service.  

Could you provide me further information on the set up?

As for the Wi-Fi drop out, and also lag you mentioned via the XBox 360, which generation XBox 360 are you using?

- you mentioned in-build Wi-Fi in the XBox 360 correct?

- Would you happen to knwo that your in build Wi-Fi client is a 802.11n rated client? or just 802.11g?

That impacts the connection throughput speed of your Xbox to the gateway.

Chi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

The black modem CG3100D-2 is activated as we did it over...

The black modem CG3100D-2 is activated as we did it over the phone and it was working that day and then drop outs happened then it randomly decided to block the internet connection entirely.

As of this moment it has accepted the internet connection once again after hours of outage, but I fear it will drop out again many times tomorrow if not later tonight.

As for the Xbox 360 it is the 250Gb Slim with 802.11b/g/n support over it's inbuilt wireless wifi.

The xbox wifi is fine as I tested it before with the previous modem and it worked problem free and lag free.

Would you suggest ordering a replacement modem? 

I couldn't help but notice that the modem lacked an exterior antenna which is odd for such a high end modem that has to deal with such high speeds, most modems in this grade have dual antenna. I think this is a design flaw on Netgear's behalf though. The older white modem has the antenna and broadcasted wireless signals fine, why the change?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: The black modem CG3100D-2 is activated as we did it over...

Has anyone solved this issue as I am experiencing exactly the same problem

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

In reply: @leboscaiolo & @Kmcaulay

Can you go to the modems GUI and make sure the following is set, retest, post your results:

Wireless Settings

Next we need to setup the correct Wireless Multimedia settings.

Go to the Wireless Multimedia menu and make sure the following is set:

WMM Settings

Make sure you clicked Apply on BOTH menu's after you have made the setting changes.

Next we will disable the firewall as your gaming console already has an application firewall:

Firewall Settings

Make sure you hit Apply after changing your settings.

Finally we need to change the way the modem accepts pings, this helps in gameplay, so allow ping on WAN port, and DMZ the IP of your machine (for the purpose of this tutorial, I have set the IP as 192.168.0.4):

DMZ Host

Again make sure you have hit Apply to save the changes to the modems EPROM.

Looking forward to your reply post on how it goes Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I had the same problems with our new modem. So far your solution seems to have worked! 0 connection problems sinced I changed the modem settings. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong though Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

In reply: @Berans

Happy to hear that my solutions have helped your Ultimate connection.

Yes, please do update us with your findings.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more