CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MattyX
Level 2: Rookie

Xbox 360 Live issue on Cable

Hi all,

so I finally had the Cable installed today, and have been busy setting everything up.

I went to connect the Xbox 360 to the net to check for updates, play with mates etc but I'm faced with an issue.

During the test connection tests, the Xbox connects to the Network, and to the Internet, but then fails at the Xbox live test, telling me theres an Xbox Live Connection Error, and suggests turning on/off the modem for 30 seconds.

I should point out Ive tried both ethernet and wireless connection to no avail. The light on the front of the router lights up blue (which is great) during the test

Ive done some research and have had no luck with a solution.

Surely someone out theres had this issue and knows a remedy?

Ive never had an issue connecting the Xbox to the internet, although theyve always been ADSL connections.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Matty

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

Re: Xbox 360 Live issue on Cable

Welcome Matty,

You may find that the cable modem needs some configuration. Not supported directly by Tech Support either unfortunately.

Try the XBOX Live troubleshooter and post back here what happens at each step so we can give you more help.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Level 21: Augmented

@QwertFu wrote:
You may find that the cable modem needs some configuration. Not supported directly by Tech Support either unfortunately.

For everything else there's CrowdSupport.

But seriously via ethernet at least are you trying to connect manually or just with automatic settings? You may want to go into the modem (presuming netgear) at 192.0.0.1 and create a DMZ server ( I believe the option is in the modem under LAN/ WAN/ Advanced Settings) and then manually connect to the chosen IP on the Xbox.

Do you have internal or external WiFi?

Ensure uPnP is turned on.

If this doesn't work perhaps bridge your old modem and use it to control DHCP & your local network.

Lathania

Lathania,

thanks for taking the time to help!

Yes, I guess knowing the details would be helpful. I'm not at home so this is just going off memory of something Ive had for less then 14 hours, its definately a netgear - its a CG3000-2 or something like that. I can get the exacts if needed.

Ive tried both auto and manaul. I followed a guide last night that went through setting a static IP on the PC and then using that on the Xbox, still no luck, still same issue. I'll have a look at this DMZ server a bit more closer.

Do you have internal or external WiFi? - not sure what you mean?

Ensure uPnP is turned on - I think it is but I'll have a double look

Thanks once again

Matty

@MattyX wrote:

Do you have internal or external WiFi? - not sure what you mean?

On your Xbox Smiley Wink

@MattyX wrote:

Ive tried both auto and manaul. I followed a guide last night that went through setting a static IP on the PC and then using that on the Xbox, still no luck, still same issue. I'll have a look at this DMZ server a bit more closer.

When you say you set it on your PC..... you mean you set something up via the modem interface? Changing settings on your PC won't affect the xbox. Also the modem serial is fine it's correct or close enough. While im not 100% sure how the Netgear CWG cable modem likes to set the DMZ, im ASSUMING you just pick a server for it which will be 192.168.0.## and then you set your Xbox manually with the IP address being the DMZ server, Default gateway as 192.168.0.1 & Subnet mask as the usual 255.255.255.0.

I'll try to remember to check this thread tonight to see how you go ^_^

Lathania

ah derr

Its an internal wifi on the xbox

Dont bother checking tonight as I'm out until midnight and when I get home, trying to connect Xbox to Live isnt on my scope!

I will update you when I get a chance to do it, probably tomorrow night.

Just trying to gather a few ideas so when I sit down tomorrow to do it I have a few different options to play with.

Also, make sure you have it plugged into a LAN and not the WAN port on the modem. Apparently theres a red WAN port on these modems and no, red doesn't mean it goes faster Smiley Wink
Lathania

thanks. Yes, there is a red WAN port but I know for a fact its not plugged into that port Smiley Happy

first thing that came to mind was "bet Ive plugged it into the wrong port" Nope, that wasnt it

Always worth a try =P
Lathania

Hey,

ok so after all that the answer was to bridge the original Telstra one and buy a new Netgear Router. Cost $108 but I'll just absorb that as an "installation" cost so the girlfriend doesnt find out and we'll be sweet.

This was due to having issues where I was copping DNS issues while searching the net, the iphone and ipad being kicked off the network and the router constantly resetting - very, very poor indeed for a "top of the range cable internet package"

After alot of research today, including on this crowdsupport, the answer was to bridge the Telstra modem and plug in your own router, its a very popular response.

Oddly enough the xbox connects to that via both wireless and ethernet cable first time no worries. Both iPhones and iPad are staying connected, the routers arent constantly re-setting and I'm surfing the net without it kicking me off every page and going slower then dial up.

MattyX
Level 2: Rookie

I can confirm that was Thursday I did that, its now Saturday, and ever since its been working fine.

I have played on Xbox Live while the girlfriends watched youtube HD clips, no issues.

Xbox connects no worries both wirelessely or ethernet (ive kept it ethernet)

Just seems that the BP Netgear CG3100 modem is very restrictive and a troublesome player!

Good to hear you got everything sorted.
Lathania

Hi Folks,

I have recently churned to Telstra cable internet after about six years on ADSL2+ with iiNet (whom I cannot fault...they just don't offer cable).

I am experiencing exactly the same issue as MattyX whereby my XBox 360 can connect to the internet but not to XBox Live.

I did get it working by changing the NAT settings on the router to Bridge mode...but that's hardly a solution as in doing so you lose a lot of the functionality of the router.  I also think that going out a purchasing a brand new router when i'm paying Telstra $100 a month for the cable access and hardware is not an acceptable solution as Telstra are off the hook with no incentive to fix the issue.

Has anyone been able to get XBox Live working via the Netgear CG3100D from Telstra?  I've been trying for a couple of weeks now and am SO frustrated by this problem.

QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

Howdy,

It should not be necessary to use a bridged router. You will probably find that it is something simple that can be identified with this troubleshooter http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-solution

It is likely that there may be some port forwarding or similar that needs doing in the modem. I know this troubleshooter starts with the basic "turn it off/on are you sure it's plugged in" stuff, but it does get more detailed. Post back here how you go and we should be able to help more.

cheers

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi HTamas80,

Have you tried performing a factory default of the modem since the firmware update went out? Also, have you tried changing the firewall levels, port forwarding and setting your gaming console in the DMZ?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now