JediJackRabbit
Level 1: Cadet

Xbox One Double NAT problem

Answered

I have Telstra broadband with an Xbox One connected to it. I recently tried a multiplayer game mode which didn't work no matter what i did.

When i test the multiplayer connection on Xbox it says i have Double NAT, which is causing issues with it.

I have a Thomson ST5x6v6 modem, with a Netgear Router WNR2200 connected to it, and the Xbox is connected to the Router.

I've had a look through the settings of both the modem and router and am not too sure what to do to fix it. I've read online that turning the modem onto bridge mode should fix the problem, but i don't want to mess around too much with the settings in case i can't go back to where i am now (internet works fine, except for multiplayer)

In Speedtouch Easy modem setup, it gives me 4 options.. BigPond Advanced, BigPond, Bridge and Routed PPP. I have been thinking about trying the Bridge option, but i just want to get another opinion before i do so.

I've had problems with Strict NAT in the past, but i've never done anything about it until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Xbox One Double NAT problem

You should just run set up again and select Bridge mode. You might need to enter these settings.

VPI (Virtual path identifier) 8
VCI (Virtual channel identifier) 35

Set the WNR2200 for PPPOE connection type and enter your full primary email address for user name and primary email password for password.

Your Modem and router are both fairly old and for security reasons you should consider getting a new modem router. I have seen second hand Telstra Smart Modems (DJA0230) for less than $20 which would be much easier to set up as it is all automatic apart from user name and password.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

Bridging the speedtouch will remove the double NAT issue.

You will need to configure your WNR2200 with your bigpond user/pass to be able to connect to the internet.

Netgear modem/routers generally have a 'does your internet connection require a login' option in the internet settings that will need to be turned on and the credentials entered.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
JediJackRabbit

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I've looked all over the web for a guide on how to bridge the modem.. Whats the best way to go about it? Should i just run set up again using the "Bridge" setup mode? Or will that ruin my connection to bigpond. I know its a stupid question, i just don't want to mess things up and need a technician or something.

Thanks in advance.
Accepted Solution

You should just run set up again and select Bridge mode. You might need to enter these settings.

VPI (Virtual path identifier) 8
VCI (Virtual channel identifier) 35

Set the WNR2200 for PPPOE connection type and enter your full primary email address for user name and primary email password for password.

Your Modem and router are both fairly old and for security reasons you should consider getting a new modem router. I have seen second hand Telstra Smart Modems (DJA0230) for less than $20 which would be much easier to set up as it is all automatic apart from user name and password.

DNSDUDE

Hi.

If your running an xbox and want good DNS

Try these guys. They have special optimsied DNS servers for Xbox

www.DnsAustralia.net.au

Primary 103.225.161.35
Secondary 103.225.161.37

Or go direct to the DNS page
https://www.dnsaustralia.net.au/xbox-play-station-dns.html

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now