CrowdSupport®
Dee9876
Level 1: Cadet

authenticating a modem

Hi!

Sorry for what might be a potentially silly question.

I have had ADSL connected at my property for years, and today it was changed over to NBN.

It is not working. 

I am using the same modem in which I had for my ADSL. It is not new, nor is this a new connection or new property. The modem is a techinicolour TG797 n V3.

The techician has said that he believes the reason why it is not working is because I need to have the modem authenticated by telstra?? 

I have been to the gateway page 10.0.0.138 and for the life of me - i have no idea of what I am meant to be looking at? It says 'your internet connection is down'.

Can anyone assist at all?

Thanks in advance 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: authenticating a modem

If you are on an FTTN service (one that plugs in to a phone socket the same way ADSL did), then it won't work as that modem doesn't work on VDSL (FTTN). You need a new modem.

Give 1800 834 273 a call as they should have provided you with a compatible modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Dee9876
Level 1: Cadet

Re: authenticating a modem

Awesome - thank you! I will get in touch

All telstra sent me was a grey cord. Should have mentioned that above.

Thank you again. I will stop trying to work out what my gateway is doing, or not doing now Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now