CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Cygnusx1974
Level 1: Cadet

gatewat max not connecting to internet

Answered

Have a new Telstra Gateway Max modem, have plugged it in, turned it on. Status, WAS, Internet and WiFi lights all green. Laptop, desktop, Ipad and Ipods can all detect the WiFi network, but no device can access the internet.

Tried typing in http://mygateway into browser, but "page cannot be displayed"

How do I fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: gatewat max not connecting to internet

try...

http://telstra.gateway/

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

try...

http://telstra.gateway/

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Cygnusz1974, 

You will need to connect your computer either directly to the Gateway Max, via an Ethernet cable, or the WiFi signal.  Once the computer is connected then try typing 10.0.0.138 into your web browsers address line.  This should get you into the modems interface page.

There are some instructions on how to do this, and add your username and password in the modem, halfway down the linked page under the title How to Enter Your Username and Password into the  Telstra Gateway Max TG799 ADSL Modem.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-Change-the-WiFi-Channel-on-the-Tels...

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MikeGG

I had the same issue

My two laptops, desktop, android tablet and smartphone were connecting to the Gateway via wi-fi but no Internet connection.

My old modem worked fine when I connected it, so obviously a problem in the modem.

I was talked through it by two separate techs at the service centres in Manila or Mumbai wherever and they eventually decided the modem must be faulty and they arranged a replacement.

Anyway on reading a couple of crowd support threads here I finally twigged to entering my Telstra username and passwd in the PPP section and bingo.

Meanwhile there's the problem of a new modem being sent and to me the bigger issue of Telstra support staff not picking up this problem that appears have been affecting some users for a couple of years. Of course I'll return the modem as soon as it arrives.

May I suggest:

• redraft the Gateway Max installation instructions as that PPP thingo is buried away .. why not have it as the first item that appears in the Gateway screen then problem solved?
  • Also a bit of a refresher for some of the tech staff ?

Cheers

Great modem BTW

Coasterau

Can you tell me what the PPP stands for please

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Coasterau

PPP stands for Point-to-Point protocol

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Pete21

I,m having the same problem exactly.

Now my question is -

How do I get to the PPP section

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Pete21 - If you have the ADSL Telstra Gateway Max, you will need to access the modem interface via http://10.0.0.138 then click on the Broadband tab at the top of the page. From here you will see the section to enter your BigPond username and password.

- Shelly

MarkMullaly

I have done all this, all my lights are green, and PPPoE username and password changed... but still have no internet... Any other suggestions ??? Every time I call, I get someone from overseas who barely speaks English..
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MarkMullaly - If the internet and WAN light on the modem are solid green after you have updated the login details, this would require that you contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting as this could be related to a network issue or related to your device/s.

If you do not wish to call in, you can also try contacting Tech Support via Live Chat using this link: http://tel.st/gq6m

- Shelly

slavonka68

We had a bad storm ( thunder & lightning) the other night & ended up with no power for a few hours. Once it came back, foxtel & internet wasn't connected. Called Telstra & followed their instructions, still nothing. Next day some techs were in our street checking/fixing main phone lines. Before they came, my wi-fi came back because ipads had access & foxtel returned but desktop still not connected. Telstra called to see if all was working & I said all good except for internet. Followed instructions again, still nothing. He suggested that for $15 a mnth, I could get the services of a Telstra tech to come over & work on my pc. I declined as nothing is wrong with any of my equipment & I said I'd keep trying as he said he couldn't help me any further because 'he wasn't trained'. I just tried what you guys suggested with similar issues, still nothing. I thought, I'll give 'system restore' a go & BINGO.....connected! I knew there was nothing wrong with my equipment.

Suzy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more