Highlighted
carloman
Level 2: Rookie

how to VPN with Telstra Gateway Max 2 : TG800

Answered

It seems this is a issue many users have...and the solution is " use bridged mode"  and connect another modem to handle your VPN.

Since I just purchased the best modem Telstra had, the Max 2, to run on the best network, ie NBN on cable, it seems odd and annoying to me to have to add another piece of hardware to get  a simple VPN connection going.

VPN is now very common..its not an exotic request or need.

Why does the MAX 2 NOT handle VPN ?

Why do I have to pay $15/mth for Platinum support for Telstra equipment ?

How do I set up "bridged" mode " on the Gateway Max 2 ?

What about the fact that it messes up your other internet connections ie: apple tv, ipads etc... I dont wish to mess up my entire house of devices.

And heres my final request: Could someone who has used Platinum support to solve this, share the solution here so others can not waste hours online trying to solve it again ? (that is if Platinum actually CAN help ).

I certainly will if I find out how.

So unless Telstra deletes that post, then this forum really would be "crowdsupport".

c.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carloman
Accepted Solution

Re: how to VPN with Telstra Gateway Max 2 : TG800

I spoke with a Telstra guy I know and he assured me that the modem I have, the TG800, will work with VPN.

So I disabled my firewall and tried to VPN into the office...and voila !..it worked perfectly.

Doh !...Silly me...caught out by the most obvious cause for internet connection trouble...the firewall. I'm running Zonealarm on a WIN 7 PC with maximum security settings.

So next step was to include my VPN destination IP into the "trusted zone" for my firewall..and all is well.

I'm not sure why  there is so much advice about using "bridge" mode etc.

My advice based on this experience is to make sure your firewall is not blocking your VPN access.

Apologies to Telstra for my previous posts, and other than that I actually have not had any problems with my NBN connection...so I guess I'm lucky there.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

VPN's themselves are outside of Telstra Platinum scope, due to too many unknown factors when dealing with them. Platinum will only assist in port forwarding if any is required

Bridge mode is found via http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > LAN 

Note also that bridging the Telstra Gateway disables the VOIP services. If you were going down the route of getting a separate router and want to use your home phone, follow the instructions listed Here

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
carloman

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your input, but not Telstra for putting me in this situation.

I was trying to get clear on the need to use bridge mode to achieve VPN...and what is involved. Its not straight forward.

Yes, I need to still use my home phone...thats one of the services in my bundle.

Its a bit of a concern that I have purchased Telstras top modem (at extra expense)  to join the NBN and now I have to turn off WIFI, and DHCP, so its basically just a straight through internet connection...and purchase another modem (obviously not a Telstra brand)  to do all the WIFI and DHCP work to connect my many devices.

Actually, its quite annoying and pathetic...because the Gateway Max2 works very well at those tasks....it just wont allow me to VPN...and VPN is not exactly new or special this decade.

Plenty of people work from home and need it...so why is it blocked by Telstra and NBN ?

So what you are telling me is that I should buy a separate device to do all my WIFI and LAN connections via DHCP (which the MAX2 was purchased for) ...and use the MAX2 as a ATA (Analog telephone adapter...since I had to look it up) as well as a bridge for the new device....basically doing nothing much.

Not happy.

Are there other ways of getting this sorted out ?

Whats the issue you're getting when trying to use your VPN?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
carloman
Accepted Solution

I spoke with a Telstra guy I know and he assured me that the modem I have, the TG800, will work with VPN.

So I disabled my firewall and tried to VPN into the office...and voila !..it worked perfectly.

Doh !...Silly me...caught out by the most obvious cause for internet connection trouble...the firewall. I'm running Zonealarm on a WIN 7 PC with maximum security settings.

So next step was to include my VPN destination IP into the "trusted zone" for my firewall..and all is well.

I'm not sure why  there is so much advice about using "bridge" mode etc.

My advice based on this experience is to make sure your firewall is not blocking your VPN access.

Apologies to Telstra for my previous posts, and other than that I actually have not had any problems with my NBN connection...so I guess I'm lucky there.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now