CrowdSupport®
cashy2
Level 2: Rookie

how to test the modem to see if it iworking

Following a recent thunderstorm, my modem/router is showing no internet signal. After 4 very frustrating calls to the call centre (obviously not in Australia), multiple attempts to do the same troubleshooting routine AND having a set date and time range for NBN technician to visit (surprisingly the technician was a no-show), I still think my router is faulty.

Where can I take it to get it tested, now day 4 without internet or phone service?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: how to test the modem to see if it iworking

The only way to test the modem is to take it to friends place with the same type of Telstra internet service. If you can still connect to the modem's WiFi and can still access its GUI it is more likely to be a link fault than a modem fault.

cashy2

ok, thanks, I don't have that option.

Will have to wait for the technician to arrive tomorrow, hopefully it is not a no-show!!

cashy2

After losing signal on the modem, to cut a long story short, 4 phone calls to tech support over 2 days, 2 appointments made for a technician to visit the premises (the technician NEVER turned up). That required me to take 2 days off work to be there + the 2 or 3 hours on the phone to tech support.

I eventually went to a Telstra store, where I got a replacement modem, which is now working, but I have issues with the telephone handset I am using so all my issues re not resolved.

I am a very disappointed by the way the whole process is run by Telstra and, looking at the other posts here, the call centre concept outside of Australia does not seem to work. For me, a simple visit by a technician would have solved the problem in 5 minutes flat. Foxtel have sorted out problems for me this way in a prompt and efficient manner. Telstra needs to up their game.

Support Team
Support Team

Sorry to hear that, Cashy2. What's the nature of the problem you're having with that handset? I'd like to know this is being addressed. - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cashy2

Hi Matthew

Thanks for checking. During the outage, somehow, call forwarding had been activated and all we needed was to turn it off. It took 2 calls to tech support to get it sorted. My experience with tech support, is that the call centre staff are very polite but really do not listen or understand Australians well enough to grasp the nature of the problem. They seem to run off a script and it is very difficult to get them off script to understand the nature of the problem. The typical fallback seems to be to do an online test, then get a technician to come and sort the problem out. The problem with this is that the bookings made for the technicians are in 4 hour blocks and really do not take into account the circumstances of the individual customer. For example, in my case I had to ensure I was at home TWICE from 8 am to 12 pm for a tech to come and sort a problem out and the tech NEVER arrived and NO contact was made to explain what was happening. This is very poor customer service, with the "tail wagging the dog".  If this is a problem with NBN techs, then this is something Telstra should take responsibility for, I pay TELSTRA for the service and how Telstra gets the service to me is none of my concern, that is what I pay for. If the company Telstra pays is not playing the game, then Telstra needs to address this.As I said in a previous post, Telstra really need to look at how they deal with tech issues, having read through similar posts on this forum, it seems this is not an isolated case but happens very often. Please take this a positive feedback, as the issues are resolved but the process was very convoluted, frustrating and could have been resolved with one phone call and proper communication.

Level 25: The Singularity

Unfortunately, Telstra has no control over the NBN Co technicians (they don't work for Telstra). All Telstra can do is rebook an appointment on your behalf if they don't turn up.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cashy2

as I said, THAT is something Telstra should sort out, I am your customer, excuses like this are very poor. Telstra pays the NBN for a service, Telstra should be demanding better form the NBN. Sorry, not good enough.

It's the same for all providers. NBN Co just don't respond to feedback from anyone (they are a Government entity). It's the same complaint that other ISPs used to have about Telstra when Telstra were the (nearly) monopoly provider. (although NBN Co are actually worse)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now