CrowdSupport®
shaunconlan
Level 2: Rookie

ip camera on nbn not working

I am unable to view my ip cameras remotely and it seems switching to the nbn has caused the problem. Up until the switch I had no problem at all. I am no novice but certainly no expert and would like some assistance in this regard. Upon trawling the crowdsupport pages it seems port blocking may have something to do with it. I have a Technicolor DJA0230TLS router which came with the "upgrade" to NBN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Support Team
Support Team

Re: ip camera on nbn not working

Hi shaunconlan,

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to hear you're unable to utilise your remote viewing feature on your security cameras following your upgrade to NBN. If you haven't already, I recommend having a chat with our tech team via  https://tel.st/lwckn to discuss further.

Let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being

What make and model IP camera do you have? You will probably have port forward some ports on the modem See section 9 of the document linked at the bottom of this post for how to port forward on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1.1 DJA0230.

shaunconlan

Thanx for the reply. The ip camera is a nanny cam and came with little information. After spending some time reading, I used canyouseeme to ascertain which ports were open and found that the ports were all closed. 

By default the modem closes all the ports and they can only be opened either manually or by using UPNP.

It is a bit hard to advice what ports need to be opened for your camera without knowing the exact model. You could install an app called Fing on an IOS or Android device and do a port scan on the camera to check which ports are open on the camera and then port forward those ports in the modem.

shaunconlan

Hi cf4,

I used Fing as suggested and I find that the following ports are open: 80, 81 and 554. Which one would you suggest. After all the reading Ive done, you are the closest person to help me find a solution to my problem, so thank you very much. I assume one I get a reply, I can then follow the instructions regarding opening the port???

Kind regards 

Shaun

I suggest you forward all the ports to the camera's IP address. Use protocol TCP for  ports 81 and 80 and TCP/UDP for port 554. Example if IP address of camera is 192.168.0.12 the port forwarding settings would be.

Name       Protocol      WAN Port    LAN Port     Destination IP

Cam1       TCP            80:81          80:81            192.168.0.12

Cam2       TCP/UDP    554             554              192.168.0.12

Set a static IP address for the camera

shaunconlan

Cheers

Done. Now how do I set a static ip address for the camera?

Cheers

Shaun

See section 8 of the document linked at the bottom of this post for how to set a static address for the device.

Click on “Add new static lease “

Start typing the IP address of camerae into IP field.
A list of all connected devices is displayed.
Click on the camera
The camera's current IP address will automatically be entered into the table.

Enter Camera in Host Name box
Click on the down arrow in the MAC column to display a list of the connected devices.
Click on the camera's Mac address to automatically add its MAC address.

Click on Apply

example

Host Name    MAC address    IP

Camera         xx:xx:xx:xx        192.168.0.1

shaunconlan

Hi cf4,

Again, thank you for all of your help. Ive entered everything you have suggested. ive rebooted the camera numerous times as well as the router yet I still cannot access the camera. Im bemused! Port forwarding done however when I use canyouseeme and enter the ip address  of the camera and the ports, it says that the port is blocked.

The funny thing is, this is the second exactly the same model ip camera which i bought some time ago and had no problem and it set itself up automatically without me going through all this. That being said the old camera also stopped working remotely.

Locally both cameras are not a problem.

Cheers

How are you trying to access the cameras remotely? When you test the ports at canyouseeme is the IP address on canyousee me the same as the public IP address of the modem? The public IP address of the modem is WAN IP address displayed at the top of the Basic Home page. You might have to hover over the top icon with mouse to display the address.

shaunconlan

Ok. Perhaps i misunderstood. I have tested the WAN IP address and that works fine. I previously thought I had to check the ip address of the camera. To check the camera remotely I have been using my phone and turning off the wifi and using the camera app supplied. Hope this makes sense to you.

Whats the camera app called?

shaunconlan

Pro iCam

shaunconlan

Hi there,

I had also read something about some ip cameras only operating on 2ghz and band steering??

You can disable band steering  in the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi settings but I don't think band steering is causing the problem. Band steering prevents some device seeing and connecting to the modems WiFi SSID. If the camera is connecting to modems WiFi and is appearing in list of connected devices then band steering is not the problem.

If I understand correctly you can connect to the camera using app when connected to modems WiFi but you can't connect to camera using mobile internet.

shaunconlan

Hi cf4,

yes that is correct. No problems at all via the LAN.

Highlighted

The app uses p2p to connect to the cameras and does not need port forwarding. P2P traffic might be blocked by Telstras Broadband protect. You can bypass broadband protect by using a custom DNS. Suggest you use google public DNS (8.8.8.£ and 8.8.4.4). If you have the Gen 2 Smart modem DJA0231 you can do this in the modem by selecting a DNS server from the drop down list (Advanced 》 Local Network). If you have the Gen 1 Smart modem DJA0230 you will have to set up a custom DNS on your devices including the camera and turn off IPv6 in the modem (Advanced 》 Local Network)

shaunconlan

wow. ok . Ive done that.

Do i need to remove everything I have done previously then? Does the camera ip remain static?

I will reset the modem and camera as well.

shaunconlan

also adding to my previous post add DNS to IPv6 or 4? Secondary im guessing.

BTW thank you for your continued support. I dont think I would have come as far with Telstra... to easily to fob off to Tech Support

What you have done previously (Port forwarding and static IP) want cause any problems but it is a good idea to reset camera.

@shaunconlan wrote:

also adding to my previous post add DNS to IPv6 or 4? Secondary im guessing.

If you are setting the DNS in the modem do it for IPv6 and IPv4.If you doing the custom DNS on your device and it has both a IPv4 and IPv6 DNS setting do it for both. If device only has a IPv4 DNS setting do for IPv4 but disable IPv6 State in the modem (Advanced > Local Network).

shaunconlan

For the IPv6, I leave primary alone and just change the secondary? Primary is blank at the moment, does that need anything in it?

You shouldn’t need to change both. Modem only uses secondary if first is not available.

shaunconlan

Hi cf4,

Ive been doing some reading and what I have come to suspect the problem to be was the actual app. I started reading some reviews and everyone is complaining about the app itself not connecting to their ip cameras. I feel stupid now as you have spent some much time trying to fix this issue for me!

I have really appreciated the support you have offered and I guess I would not have come across this in this first place without you troubleshooting. Thank you so much!

If you have an android device suggest you try Tiny camera monitor, it is free in the google play store. It is harder to set up then the other app. There is also a paid version called Tiny camera pro, it cost me $0.99 several years ago I don't know what current price is. This app will automatically scan the local network and automatically detect IP cameras. The disadvantage of using either of these apps I'd that you have to set up port forwarding in the modem to view cameras remotely.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now