CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mrtanner87
Level 2: Rookie

l.Connect Dlink Modem to Velocity

Answered

Hi all. I just purchased a D-Link DSL-2878 AC750 Wireless Modem Router to replace the Telstra Smart modem as I want to be able to use NordVPN and the Telstra modem won't allow that. I have tried the wizard to configure it automatically and tried it manually as well but I can't get it to connect. I spoke to the Velocity Support team and I asked them was it VDSL or ADSL that I should set it up for and they didn't know. 

Has anyone any idea ??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: l.Connect Dlink Modem to Velocity

On the DLink.

Page 30 and 31

WAN Connection Type Ethernet

Service Number Add

Connection Dynamic IP Address (DHCP)

WAN service Type Internet

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Youd need to set it up like adsl with PPPoE settings

I.e username@bigpond.com and the relavent password

Or put yout Telstra Modem in into Bridge mode and connect the modem that way.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

awulf
Level 4: Private Eye

You'll need to make sure the ethernet lead from the Telstra NTD is plugged into the "WAN/LAN" port of your D-Link. Then set it up with the PPPoE credentials under WAN as said by 343GuiltySpark.
See Page 30 "Ethernet" and Page 31 "WAN Settings" http://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2878/Manuals/DSL-2878_U1_Manual_v1.00(AU).pdf

OZm4n
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I chatted with someone from Dlink yesterday, and they said to set it up with an ethernet connection under the WAN, which didn't work either because there is nowhere to put username and password. So do set it up as VDSL or just ADSL??

Neither

It has to be Ethernet WAN. Connection Type PPPoE

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
OZm4n

Thanks, but if thats the case where do I put in username and password?

See page 33 and 34 of manual
OZm4n

Thanks for that. Will give it a try tonight..
Will advise outcome tomorrow, hopefully positive...
mrtanner87

Well, no good news. Tried to follow instructions from manual, but some settings like for Dynamic IP it says to select Bridged IP LLC or Bridged IP VC-MUX. Only option is bridged, and the same for PPPoE, There is no PPPoE LLC or VC-Mux. I have attached a couple of screen prints if that helps.Dlink1.jpgDlink2.jpg

mrtanner87

One thing I did notice when I looked in the logs was that the date was showing as 2012. It is set for NTP automatically but obviously is wrong. Could this cause a problem with connection??

What options do you have with the Authentication Protocol?
mrtanner87

auto, PAP or CHAP. Left it at auto as i wasn't sure

Leave it on auto.
The PPPoE LLC or VC-Mux only apply to a DSL connection. AS you have a Velocity connection these settings should not effect the connection. If you have the correct username and password it should work. The username and password you have are they the same as the ones you use to log into the your primary Bigpond email?
Another thing that might be preventing connection is if the connection uses an IPv6 WAN address. Do you know what WAN address was assigned to the Smart Modem. To check if the modem was assigned an IPv6 address log into smart modem and go to Broadband. If Status IPv6 is shown as connected then WAN connection is using IPv6 address.
If there are there a setting in the DSL-2878 to enable WAN IPv6 enable this setting.

The clock is wrong because modem has no connection to the internet.
mrtanner87

Thanks for the quick reply again. I didn't think it could be this difficult to setup a modem!!!

Have attached a screen print from the telstra modem for you to check. 

The connection only use IPv4 so that is not the problem. Are you sure you have correct username and password?

You should edit and delete that image as it contains your personal information and your public IP address. If you post any images its best to remove any details personal details and anything such as public IP address.
mrtanner87

Thanks, I have deleted the image now that you have seen it. I'm positive that the username and password are correct, so its really a mystery. Obviously you have run out of ideas now, but thanks for all your help with this. It really is appreciated.

If you want to be 100% sure, try logging into telstra.com/myaccount with those details and see if it throws a username/pass error
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

I just had a look at your first image in previous post an I noticed that connection type is shown as VDSL. Have you changed WAN connetion type to Ethernet (page 30 of manual) and saved the settings.
mrtanner87

Yes mate, I thought that was strange at the time. I set it up as ehternet but when I go back to the home page it shows as VDSL, as you can see on the second image it shows as ethernet????

One thing you could try to check if LAN / WAN port is working is to connect LAN / WAN port to LAN port on Telstra gateway and to set connection as Dynamic IP (DHCP)

When setting up Add a new service number.

mrtanner87

Will give it a go..Thanks
mrtanner87

Sorry, but when I connect the dlink to the telstra, where do i set the new connection, on the dlink or telstra??
Accepted Solution

On the DLink.

Page 30 and 31

WAN Connection Type Ethernet

Service Number Add

Connection Dynamic IP Address (DHCP)

WAN service Type Internet

mrtanner87

Great news...Its working...Thanks for all your help. Its really been appreciated

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now