CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

modem thinks landline is busy

I was informed by NBN person that my  modem apparently thinks  my landline is busy. After doing all the troubleshooting I have a flashing green light on the phone light and my phone says "check phone line. I was informed that the  problem is coming from the NBN  by a former employee of telstra. He helped me reset it too. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: modem thinks landline is busy

A flashing green LED normally signifies the phone is in use. Try a different handset to isolate the cause.

Some older phones cause issues.

Panasonic cordless phones work well with Gen 11 modems....

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

To isolate the problem being caused by the handset unplug the phone from the green phone socket on the modem. If the handset was causing the problem the light will now be a steady green. If light continues to blink then it is either a faulty modem or problem with Telstra configuration of your NBN link. Make sure nothing is plugged into the PSTN port on the modem.

Highlighted

I only have one handset and I do not intend to buy another one.There is nothing wrong with my phone so why would I need to buy another.It is a Telstra.As for believing in myself ,I have always believed in myself.I don't however feel the same way about Telstra.

Highlighted

I actually did all the troubleshooting with a Telstra employee over the phone. I was actually interested to see if anyone else had the same issue. 

Highlighted

I have a panasonic cordless phone .It worked fine up until the time I asked a Telstra employee to fix the fuzziness that was going on.Now it doesn't work at all.

Highlighted

Hi

I did what you suggested .I unplugged the phone from the power source and  also from the modem and the green light is still flashing.So I assume it must be the modem that is faulty.It is strange because  I've been told it is one of the newer ones.  

Highlighted

With the phone disconnected and nothing plugged into the modem's green phone port and the modem's PSTN port you could try factory resetting the modem and checking if light still continues to flash.

Even though modem is new it might still be faulty or have developed a fault, but it could also be due to a problem with how Telstra has configured your NBN phone service. In your previous post you mentioned that the phone stopped working after a Telstra employ tried to fixe a fuzziness problem. The fuzziness could be an indication of a fault on the modem that has worsened to the point were the phone no longer works.  Do you know what the employee did to try and fix the fuzziness?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more