CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Nogizmo
Level 1: Cadet

nbn telstra smart modem

Answered

wi fi strength from telstra nbn smart modem ..is it 2.4G or higher?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: nbn telstra smart modem

That's a frequency, not a measure of strength.
The Smart Modem uses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands.

Signal strength will depend on the location of the modem and the obstructions/distance between it and the device connected to it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

That's a frequency, not a measure of strength.
The Smart Modem uses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands.

Signal strength will depend on the location of the modem and the obstructions/distance between it and the device connected to it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Nogizmo

Thanks so much for your reply. Might help explain why I get a message that the smart plug app only works on wi fi systems 2.4G and less. The smart plugs will not connect to my telstra service.

Log in to your modem and turn off Band Steering. That will force the modem to show a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network. Your smart plugs should then be able to connect to the 2.4G network.
Nogizmo

Thanks. Will try that but could you please tell me how to log into my modem. I am an absolute walking technical disaster.
Regards
Peter
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@Nogizmo wrote:
Thanks. Will try that but could you please tell me how to log into my modem. I am an absolute walking technical disaster.
Regards
Peter

@Nogizmo You should be able to find what you need at this Telstra help page here! 

I'm not sure what version of Telstra Smart Modem you have but one of our modem guru's @cf4 wrote a manual for the Frontier modem that is close to what the others do, so have a read of that here!

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

To log into the modem open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.166.0.1  If you have a Gen 2 Smart modem the ID and password is admin / Telstra

You will find the band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi Band settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now