CrowdSupport®
BruceandSandra
Level 1: Cadet

open ports for Brother printer 9140 on TG797n v3

In order to connect my Brother laser 9140 printer to Mac 10.10.2, I have been told by Brother support to open ports:

• TCP 5297
  • TCP/UDP 5298
  • UDP 5350
  • UDP 5351
  • UDP 5353
  • UDP 49159
  • UDP 49163

I have looked at port forwarding but on the TG797n v3. I assume I need to set up a rule - is that correct?

The set up a rule, it asks me to select from a list of games and servers. It does not offer a printer.

I am completely lost at this satge and Brother will not support me further until I open the above ports.

All asstance appreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 23: Superhero

Re: open ports for Brother printer 9140 on TG797n v3

Do Brother not have any printer drivers for MAC for this model or is it not able to be plugged in (say via USB) to the computer you are wanting to print from?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
BruceandSandra
Level 1: Cadet

There are drivers for Mac (installed) and the printer is connected by Ethernet. but it only stays connected for 2-3 minutes after the printer is turned off and on again, then it goes off line again after 2-3 minutes and has to be turned off and on for the network to see it again.

It does work directly connected to the computer, but I need to print from several didffent computers via WiFi. It has to use the router WiFi as the printer does not have WiFi itself.

The printer will not print via Airprint either, unless turned off and on again (stays connectable for 2-3 minutes as it does with the ethernet connection)

It is not related to the printer being asleep, as I have tried to extend the default sleep time (to 50 minutes) and it still goes off line after 2-3 minutes.

I have also fixed the IP address on the printer from auto select, does not make any difference.

I contacted Brother support and they told me I had to open the ports on the router as in my last message.

Level 23: Superhero

If it's on the same internal network as the devices you are wanting to print with opening ports should do absolutely nothing. Opening/forwarding ports on the modem opens them to outside traffic from the internet.

Have you tried another router and/or Ethernet port just to rule that out?

It sounds to me like either a faulty router or a faulty printer!

As a last resort you could setup printer sharing via one computer that it is directly connected to, however that computer would need to be powered up for other devices to print.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more