CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MummaKris1
Level 2: Rookie

setting up gateway max

Answered

i've set up my new gateway max but not sure if i'm suppose to join the 2.4GHz wifi or 5GHz wifi? i've connected the t-box which stated the 2.4GHz had much better strength than the 5GHz so it's connected on the 2.4GHz but not sure which one i should connect to for my mac??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MummaKris1
Accepted Solution

Re: setting up gateway max

Thanks heaps !!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Level 23: Superhero

Mumma, you'll find that it's the same story with the Mac as with the Tbox. 2.4 gives a fair reliable signal and the distance, so if you're moving around your house with the mac you should recieve a decent signal where ever.

5Ghz is less likely to suffer dropouts or interference from the likes of microwave ovens or other devices that use the 2.4 frequency. 5 is more reliable and stable for downloading movies or whatever, but won't offer the same coverage, eg: distance for a strong reception.

Set up both and try them out and test to see what gives you the performance you want.

Sig 2

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
MummaKris1
Accepted Solution

Thanks heaps !!
dIABOLIQUE3
Level 1: Cadet

Hello,

I have plugged in my Gateway max adsl modem, the wifi lights are green and I've connected my mac to that wifi. 

Status light is red and internet light is red.

I have gone into modem and changed username and password to those Telstra issued me.

But still can't connect.

Any suggestions?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dIABOLIQUE3

In this case it would be best to speak with us on 13 22 00 so that we can make sure that everything is ok on our side to allow you to connect :-) 

If it is, then a staff member will work with you to get you connected during the call. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Akela1
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have a new Gateway Max cable modem, and been told that Telstra does not supply a User Manual.

I have connected a USB hard drive, but cannot see this on the network.  Without consulting a manual how do I:

1) Access the USB hard drive?

2) Dismount the USB Hard Drive?

Thanks in advance.

(While similar to the Netgear 6300, the Telstra version consists of different menus and options.)

Greyfox
Level 8: Inspector

Check that Advanced->Content Sharing->File Sharing is set to Enable.

When you plug the USB cable from the drive into the USB port on the front of the gateway, (and apply power to the drive if it is normally powered from a plug pack), the indicator LED next to the USB port should light. There may be a short delay before the light comes up.

You should then see the drive under networks, mine shows as TELSTRA-GATEWAY->Storage0

I'm not seeing any issues with a 1TB USB Western Digital drive connected, but my gateway has received the latest 1.04.02 firmware update.

Akela1

I have no chocice but to accept I will not be have a manual in order to set up and maintain my device.  You acknowledge that I need to come here for support and advice.

Can you please provide details of the steps required to setup FON on my Telstra Cable Gateway Max?

Thanks in advance.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Akela, the information at https://goo.gl/AkG3Gw confirms the modems which are eligible for the Air service and includes a link for registration. Once your registration has been processed then other customers subscribed to the Air network can connect via your modem - no further configuration is required by you. You just need to get the Telstra Air app on your compatible mobile, tablet, or laptop.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Akela1

Thank you Greg, but now you have added confusion.

I have been told that here is no App for Windows Phone or for a Windows Tablet or a Windows Laptop.  For these devices you connect to the wireless network and provide authentication.

Now you have told me I 'just need to get the Telstra Air App on my device'. 

Can you please review and provide advice on what the correct situation is?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Akela1

So for your Cable modem - you don't need to do anything to it yourself to allow other people to connect to it, so you don't need to set up the WiFi hotspots etc. A firmware update gets the modem ready. And if you've registered for Telstra Air, then when we process the request, and we'll send the request to your modem to enable the hot spots so others can connect. 

What Greg is talking about is when you want to use someone else's hotspot, or a payphone hotspot etc.
So for you to connect to hotspots using Telstra Air, you need to either download the App - for Android or Apple devices.
Or for all other devices, including computers you can connect to them using the standard WiFi connection process for the device.  

Akela1

Thankyou.
Now I know that the Telstra Air App is not required for any device!
heartIikeasky
Level 6: Bloodhound

Reading down the posts and replies there has been a request for the manual for the Gateway Max Modem.

Here is a link to the manual for the C6300BD.

Cosmetically it may look different but it is the same gateway modem that Telstra have re-badged.

http://www.vendopedia.com/index.php?title=Netgear_C6300BD

Akela1

Well done!
GKY

Page one of the manual.

This modem does not work.

Page Two.

Bridge mode or no DHCP and buy another modem that works

Page three

Support out of work

acs1

Re: setting up gateway max & GETTING IT TO WORK!

Hi all. Welcome to my world of frustration and disappointment. Have attempted to connect our new gateway max at least 15 different separate occasions. On each occasion, cluster connection attempts with no luck while talking wth Telstra cable connect.  Joke.  Telstra front of room, back of room & every other room absolutely no help----ie. it's still not connected?  Telstra sent a new modem (now have 2) and tonight the second still not connecting +the phone call to Telstra. 

Did i mention being on hold for hours and hours today and left on hold after 8pm tonight by Telstra. Left on hold after 8pm?

Cannot authorise our account and register???  Maybe then conversely, it will be hard to recognise the Telstra bill and pay!!!

Elevated to a' level 3' problem last week but that's dismissed upon sending out a new modem.

So is there someone in Telstra land who has the IT CAPACITY to activate and register this modem to enable Internet connection agian?  After this week we are very much over Telstra call centres. Their poor account notes (for fear of the microscope upon them) and the lack of capacity to fix & make this connection.  Call centre supervision deplorable. 'No ideas' directing polite but 'no idea staff'.

HELP PLEASE TELSTRA BIG POND CABLE --buisness is suffering daily.

acs1

Well the ordeal is over, Imran of the call centre worked through the problems (telstra end) and we even had a laugh along the way.

Something like 75 minutes only today.Smiley Wink

Good man Imran you should be running the place!  Thanks again -John.

KCos

Hi acs1, how did they resolve your issue in the end? We have a similar issue & have a technician come out on Tues & possibly with a new modem, I'm worried it won't make an ounce of difference!
simedave

Hi John / acs1

I believe I'm having the same problem as you.

Do you remember how it was resolved / what the problem was?

It would be a big help, as I seem to be spending / wasting a lot of time trying to get connected and Telstra's so-called tech support has no idea.

I have a Technicolor TG799vac (Telstra Gateway Max), which is supposed to be connected to NBN FTTN.

12 days ago was my original appointment.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi simedave, 

We have two different modems called a Gateway Max, acs1 is discussing a provisioning issue with the Netgear C6300 Cable modem.  Your Technicolor TG799vac which is also called a Telstra Gateway Max is for use with a BigPond ADSL or NBN service.

Are you able to provide further details about what your specific issue is and what troubleshooting steps you have tried to get it to work?  

Thanks.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now