CrowdSupport®
arp6873
Level 2: Rookie

slow service through wifi

Answered

ive done a speed test with an average of 24mbps. On both my mobile and laptot the internet is exstremly slow to respond, just like having dialup speed. How do i know if its the service or the modem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: slow service through wifi

@arp6873,

Another possible cause for this is the Wi-Fi Channel that the modem is using.

Typically, when the modem is restarted, they'll start at a pre-determined channel and then change if there is any form of interference on the channel.

This could be why it starts off great, then slows to a crawl after a time.
Have you considered changing the channel from an Auto Channel to a manual one?

The general rule of thumb for tech support is increments of 3 - so channels 3, 6 and 9. from experience, some devices can have issues connecting to channel 1 or anything over channel 11.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

What do you mean by "through WiFi"? Can you describe your exact setup? I'm trying to understand how your computer is connected to your router and how your router is connected to your internet service.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @arp6873,

In addition to JDMils comments, knowing what type of internet service you have would also be helpful (ADSL, Cable, NBN, Telstra Velocity, ect)

Are you paying for a speed boost?

ADSL top speeds are up to 24Mpbs, so this is far from dial up.

Have you performed speed testing with an Ethernet cable connecting your computer to your router?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

arp6873

I have nbn Telstra 2nd tier up to 25mbps.
I've done a speed test with ethernet connected and the speed was about the same about 24mbps
Sorry this stuff is new to me I've never had home internet before and I'm coming to terms with the terminology. I'm surprised how slow it is to load pages
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks @arp6873,

If you are paying for a 25Mpbs plan and you are getting 24, this is not really an issue.

Are there specific websites that are slow to load, or a particular time of day, ect?

Does a restart of your modem help?

- Matt

JDMils

I would assume that since you had the word WiFi in your subject line that you are experiencing slow internet access on your WiFi device?

If so, you can run a speed test using the browser on your device and point it to "http://www.speedtest.net/" and let us know what the resulting speed is.

To add to Delta's helpful advice/questions, is the internet slow on your wired devices as well? Sometimes the devices themselves are slow (old computer, phone, disks full causing slowdown of computer/phone/ipad, virus on device causing slowness, etc)

arp6873

Yes a slow internet connection on my wifi device
Speed test result. 23 mbps, about the same as ethernet cable.
At a cafe with WiFi last nite WiFi worked fine with a speed test of 7 mbps
When I got home I turned my modem off and on and my WiFi was super fast, I thought the problem was solved, this morning it was back to slow internet again
JDMils

Sorry, I may be missing something:

Speed test result. 23 mbps, about the same as ethernet cable.

==> That's good!

At a cafe with WiFi last nite WiFi worked fine with a speed test of 7 mbps

==> So you tested someone else's WiFi using your phone and got a speed reading of 7Mbps. OK.

When I got home I turned my modem off and on and my WiFi was super fast, I thought the problem was solved, this morning it was back to slow internet again

==> When it is slow, what does SpeedTest.Net result in?

One possibility is that someone is leeching off your WiFi connection and downloading a lot of data causing your connection to slow down. If you know what you are doing, you can log into your Telstra router and check who is connected to it.

I highly recommend checking your Wireless settings and make sure you have a password on your wireless. If you do then change it immediately to something difficult for anyone else to remember. You will now need to reconnnect to your WifI, via your phone, using the new password and monitor it now.

You can also change the channel used by WiFi in case too many other users are on the same channel as you. Portable phones also use the same default channel and could also be a cause.

arp6873

Thanks for your reply JD
You were on the rite track about the modem I played around with it powered off and on pushed a few buttons and so far all good, It was password secured and no extra users, just a glitch in the modem.
Could it be a latency problem?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@arp6873,

Another possible cause for this is the Wi-Fi Channel that the modem is using.

Typically, when the modem is restarted, they'll start at a pre-determined channel and then change if there is any form of interference on the channel.

This could be why it starts off great, then slows to a crawl after a time.
Have you considered changing the channel from an Auto Channel to a manual one?

The general rule of thumb for tech support is increments of 3 - so channels 3, 6 and 9. from experience, some devices can have issues connecting to channel 1 or anything over channel 11.

- Matt

arp6873

I'm going to be an expert after all this, thanks for comment

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now