CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Marvin_Schwartz
Level 2: Rookie

smart tv and nbn

Answered

Just moved from cable to nbn. Never ever had an issue with my smart tv

But now when i connect to my home network via wireless it takes longer than usual and while it connects most times, it usually does not connect to the internet. Hence Netflix throws a nw-2-4 and nw-2-5 error youtube just doesn't work.

I tethered my smart tv to my mobile and it works flawlessly, same with 2 other mobiles, but when i switch to my home network it fails. Interestingly I can run netflix on any pc or tablet on the home network, both wired and wifi.

So what's up with the modem not liking my smart tv?
Where should I go next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: smart tv and nbn

@Marvin_Schwartz First thing I would give a go at is to go into your modem settings /WiFi then scroll down to Wi-Fi Network and find the option "Band Steering Enabled" and untick.

And, further up you will see "Channel Width" make sure that is set to Auto 20/40

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Accepted Solution

@Marvin_Schwartz First thing I would give a go at is to go into your modem settings /WiFi then scroll down to Wi-Fi Network and find the option "Band Steering Enabled" and untick.

And, further up you will see "Channel Width" make sure that is set to Auto 20/40

Marvin_Schwartz

thanks 
Already had channel width set to auto 20/40, also channel number = 1
Just unchecked the steering box no change.

still got the problem of being able to connect to my home network but not the internet.

@Marvin_Schwartz Ok, will leave this up to the modem guru's:-)

My only suggestion now is thinking it might be a IPV6 issue or your WiFI signal is not strong enough.

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

With your Smart TV, does it support 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi. Once you establish that, can you try re-connecting it at 2.4 Ghz in the TV Settings as that signal should be separately visible to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi , now that you have disabled beamforming. Maybe the 5Ghz is too weak a signal where the TV is? My friend has an old Samsung Smart TV with a Samsung 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi dongle - after years of operation, it suddenly stopped working. After many frustrating attempts of reboots and re-programming the TV and the modem to resurrect it, I ended up connecting a faster solution and more reliable solution - a 5 metre LAN cable from the modem to the TV and all worked fine then on.

Marvin_Schwartz

Thanks everyone.

The problem was definitely caused by band steering being = on.
The reason it still failed after I turned it off was that the modem did not keep the change to this setting. I went back and checked it was still on. 

Since turning band steering = off Netflix works without issue. 

BTW I set the channel=1 because I saw some forum updates where some devices do not like channel 12 and 14, and auto could have picked up one of these two channels.

Sounds like the Sony Bravia can't handle dynamic band hoping. 

Marvin_Schwartz

PS: The TV is set to both ipv4 and ipv6.

@Marvin_Schwartz wrote:

Thanks everyone.

The problem was definitely caused by band steering being = on.
The reason it still failed after I turned it off was that the modem did not keep the change to this setting. I went back and checked it was still on. 

Since turning band steering = off Netflix works without issue. 

BTW I set the channel=1 because I saw some forum updates where some devices do not like channel 12 and 14, and auto could have picked up one of these two channels.

Sounds like the Sony Bravia can't handle dynamic band hoping. 

@Marvin_Schwartz Great that it is now working for you :-)

Sometimes I wonder why 'band steering' is defaulted on. Seems to cause more issues than its worth. I turned mine off ages ago due to similar issues.

Marvin_Schwartz

Totally agree.

Band steering seems to be a newer feature older products are driven nuts by.

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

Glad that you solved the mystery. Yes, I agree - prior to the 2016 IEEE 802.11ac Wave 2 Specification and in IEEE 802.11n, Band Steering and Beamforming functions were proprietary to manufacturers, so no guarantee of interoperability. There were also two forms of Beamforming, Implicit and Explicit with the later being dominant now as this involves prior set up with the remote device, alleviating the Router CPU from higher load in the Implicit arrangement . In most consumer products, I understand it only works in the Download direction from the Router to the device, unless the WLAN Adapter supports Wave2 with Beamforming adopted.

Given that most legacy devices either don't support or would struggle to support Wave 2, I also wonder why it is set to Default in most carrier routers. Even if you set it to OFF and Save, the next time you may have to Factory Default the Router it will go back to ON. On this and other forums, it seems to be a common solution to people having trouble Wi-Fi linking devices to their Home Networks. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now