wako-davo
Level 1: Cadet

telstra "smart" modem - doesn't understand subnets or DHCP

Get a load if this stupid "smart" modem. have an existing site with some statically assigned devices (Security cameras) which require the gateway address to be 192.168.50.49. Now if I subnet with a mask of 255.255.255.240 that would place .49 at the bottom of the subnet and I can understand the router having a DHCP range of .50-.63.

BUT

If I give it a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 (as in the attached screen-shot) that places .49 smack-bang in the middle of the subnet and I should be able to specify a DHCP range of anywhere between .33 and .64. (I'm trying to use the lower-half: 33-48)

NOPE! not with a Telstra dumb-ass modem. Tells me "Invalid DHCP ending and starting IP addresses". Clearly a software bug and I blame the lobotomised firmware Telstra loads in these things.

Don't suppose anyone knows a workaround ? (other than re-numbering the network !)

Ta,

Davo.telstranumptymodem.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: telstra "smart" modem - doesn't understand subnets or DHCP

I don't think that it is the subnet that is the issue. There was a glitch in the firmware that made it awkward to change from 192.168.x (x being 0 or 1 depending on the modem). There was an extra step involved to get it to change.

Unfortunately, I'm on my phone which makes it difficult to look up. @cf4 or @Yastiandrie should be able to point you in the right direction when they come online.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Re: telstra "smart" modem - doesn't understand subnets or DHCP

Found @cf4's reference. Last page of this document should assist.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzrqIis29Do9bTFxRUFjU3ZoWE0/view
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now