CrowdSupport®
zeusthegreatest
Level 2: Rookie

telstra smart modem gen2 lh100

just upgraded to nbn and finding that all of our incoming HTTP traffic is being blocked or port forwarding not working. cannot detect if traffic is or is not reaching the modem. ping works. is there modem setting we need to adjust? we rang telstra but they have no clue... :-( thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: telstra smart modem gen2 lh100

Port forwarding does work but NAT loopback back is not supported and the modem only supports a maximum of 10 port forwarding rules. If there are more than 10 port forwarding rules only the first 10 will work. 

zeusthegreatest

Re: telstra smart modem gen2 lh1000

thank u! we dont need any NAT lookback and we r only trying to have 2 port forwarding to port 80 and 443. it does not refuse the connection but it just does not connect and times out. is it a modem's fault? 

I don't think it is a modem fault. Have youchecked that the port 80 and 443 are open at an online port checker site such as canyouseeme? If shown as closed check if the ports are open on the device using a port checking app such as fing installed on a device  connected to your local network.

zeusthegreatest

yes thank u! we did check and they r opened. we can get to it via our internal IP but not via external IP either via wifi or 4g. do u know who we can call? nbn support said they cannot help as our internet is working. thats all they support. thank u!

zeusthegreatest

port.png

zeusthegreatest

Success: I can see your service on 120.148.37.12 on port (80)

we had disabled our firewall.

i was now told by subject matter expert our modem does not support port forwarding. i can cancel the order once its completed in 2 days or i can buy my own modem. help???

Your port forwarding settings look correct so ports should be open. I tried to scan both ports 80 and 443 for IP address 120.148.37.12 and both are closed. Even though you can access the server with a device connected to your local lan using the server's local IP address the servers it doesn't mean the server's firewall iis not blocking remote access. In most of the problems I have seen with accessing a server remotely it has not been due to the link or modem blocking the port but due to the servers firewall, the firewall of the device on which the server is located or using wrong public IP address for modem.

With the Arcadyan modem you can't test remote access to a server from a device connected to the modem due to modems lack of support for NAT loop back.

zeusthegreatest

thank u! we ended up rebooting the modem so got new ip address. our firewall is switched off for now. so should not be the issue. as per last call to telstra- we need to pay $10 a month to get a fixed IP address and they will help us with port forwarding. so suddenly our modem does support it. they r just missing $10??? what else can we do? do we really need fixed IP to have port forwarding???

No you don't need a fixed IP address. It makes it easier if you have fixed address because you can always access the modem with same IP address. I don't have a fixed IP address but to save having to use a different IP address each time modem is booted I use a free Dynamic DNS service such as NO-IP. With Dynamic DNA service you can create a URL which gets dynamically updated with your modems public IP address. The basic DNS service from NO-IP is free.

Even if you were to pay for a static IP address Telstra will still not help you in setting up port forwarding. They will direct you to there platinum service which is a fee for service. If the port forwarding is not working due to Telstra faulty equipment or a fault in the network the fee would be refunded.

zeusthegreatest

thank u! we do use no-ip. last call to telstra i was told we cant even talk to platinum until our order is completed which would take from 48 hrs to 2 weeks. so we need to wait. we can’t cancel either. so we r stuck until order turns into completed status. do u think our issue will disappear once the order is complete? or it sounds like a faulty modem? its too ridiculous that we need to wait to be able to try fixed ip to find out if modem is faulty or network issues. but it looks like idiocity wins :-(

I don't think your problem will disappear once your order is complete. I don't know what the problem is and can't rule out the problem being the modem. I do know that that particular modem has a lot of bugs and one of the bugs is that block file server traffic  between the wired LAN and WiFi. If you server is a file server the modem could be blocking the traffic, but judging by the ports you are using I assume you have a normal web server.

If you have an Android device you could install an app called ip webcam. By default the app uses port 8080, Set up port forwarding for port 8080 to your android  device in the modem. Open the app and start the server. You should be able to access the android devices camera by opening a web browser on a device not connected to the modem and going to the modem's public ip address followed by port 8080.

Telstra can't block your access to a Telstra platinum support Tech providing you are willing to pay if its not a Telstra network or equipment fault. You could lodge a complaint by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason say complaint or use the link on this site

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

zeusthegreatest

thanks a lot! we did some troubleshooting and it looks like our dlink recorder is the issue. basically we disconnected all of the devices and connecting one by one found out it was causing issues :-( so i dont think it was the modem, but while i was battling it yesterday a new firmware was pushed to the router, its now at

Firmware Number
0.08.06r

not sure if its because i was on the phone to telstra or it just happened? i guess we will never know but it could have been the network fault issue.thanks a lot for your help!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now