Shipwreck790
Level 1: Cadet

weak signal in our house

Answered
Having trouble with WiFi not reaching to the back of the house . Has been ok for over 2 years but lucky to get one bar now .
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wizard2
Level 7: Deputy Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: weak signal in our house

For these situations, there is a couple of options.
1. Get an electrician to install an ethernet point to the most central part of the home and install a wifi access point.
2. Purchase a Wifi extender to set that up halfway between the modem and where you want the wifi to reach (this is to maximise the wifi coverage)
3. Purchase a Wi-Fi mesh/booster from a local electronics retailer or a Telstra Store (Telstra does offer a mesh system that can be purchased online, over the phone and in-store either outright or on a payment plan) and set it up following the instructions provided in the box or on the app (if applicable).

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-extender

Reasoning behind the poor signal can be due to environmental factors, other wifi networks in the area drowning out your own and more.
The internet is a wonderful place.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
MisterQ

Telstra sells Wifi repeaters or range extenders or you can find them on ebay. I got a Xiaomi for $10 on ebay but they are usually around $15.
Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.
Wizard2
Accepted Solution

For these situations, there is a couple of options.
1. Get an electrician to install an ethernet point to the most central part of the home and install a wifi access point.
2. Purchase a Wifi extender to set that up halfway between the modem and where you want the wifi to reach (this is to maximise the wifi coverage)
3. Purchase a Wi-Fi mesh/booster from a local electronics retailer or a Telstra Store (Telstra does offer a mesh system that can be purchased online, over the phone and in-store either outright or on a payment plan) and set it up following the instructions provided in the box or on the app (if applicable).

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-extender

Reasoning behind the poor signal can be due to environmental factors, other wifi networks in the area drowning out your own and more.
The internet is a wonderful place.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.
Highlighted
MisterQ

If it has been good for two years, but has only recently gone bad, there is most likely an external influence. Like a neighbour using the same sets of frequencies on their router - most routers have access to a dozen or so channels, but default to the middle of the spectrum. Too many people/networks in the middle of the spectrum and it get crappy. There are some tools around that will map spectrum usage = "kismet" is one for macs and linux - I don't use windoze, so can't help there... Within your router settings, you will be able to move to a less congested part of the spectrum.

Another possible is hardwiring - you can get flat and white cat6 cable on ebay - it can run fairly unobtrusively along the skirting board. In our house, the router is in my office, and I have one of these cables, running around the walls in three rooms, to just outside my son's bedroom, where there is a small 5 port switch, and a wifi repeater - he has several things in his room, so can either hardwire off the switch, or wifi off the repeater at his end of the house.

ALso, if you have an old WIfi router, or access point from a previous installation sitting around, it is possible to set it up on the same net, with the same ssid, (but a different IP) and have it work as a secondary Access Point.
Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now