Highlighted
Fleet
Level 1: Cadet

wifi extenders

Answered

We are using Smart Community Velocity from Telstra (same as NBN, just different name).

Currently using the Gateway TG797 provided (purchased) with service, but range for our 2 story appartment is poor. WiFi can only be located downstairs and is almost in clear line of sight when standing outside master bedroom - upper level has a huge void and modem can be seen through the glass balustrade.

We have good signal of streaming quality at that point, 24mbps download (wifi bandwidth 36Mbps). This is reduced to  3.9Mbps once inside bedroom with door open (wifi bandwidth 3Mbps).

Not being technical don't know why we get less download than the bandwidth - e.g. downstairs bandwidth is 70Mbps and we get only maybe 30Mbps download max - where is the other 40....?

My question is in order to extend this WiFi for upstairs use, are we better off getting a new WiFi modem (this one is 2 years old) or do we buy an extender? If we are to buy and extender to plugin upstairs, it can be plugged in at a strong signal point outside this bedroom - what is the recommended extender to achieve this?

We are wanting to stream telstra TV, Netflix and the like in the bedroom upstairs - currently cannot due to lack of wifi ability.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: wifi extenders

Mostly, the differences are in total throughput capacity (speed) and range.

If they are anything like my local officeworks, their training has improved markedly over the past few years.

For most houses, there are usually only a handful of electrical circuits (Lighting, Power, Heating). My house has 3 power circuits, but I am on 3 phase power. Have a look in the meter box and see what is written on the circuit breakers, that will usually give a pretty good idea.

You could then plug a lamp into each of the sockets you plan to use and see if they are switched off by the same circuit breaker.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

A powerline wifi extender is probably the best option for multiple floor dwellings. Assuming that the powerpoint on the lower level is on the same circuit as the powerpoint on the upper level, then it should work quite well.

Failing that, a wifi extender that connects wirelessly to your router would need to be placed close to the void as it needs to have a good signal to the original router in order to work.

The 3rd option is to get some CAT 6 cable installed between your lower and upper levels and connect a new router to the existing one that way. This method gives the best results.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Fleet

Jupiter,

As we are only renting this property after selling our own, we don't want to invest into an option other than simply extending the range of the wifi.

You recommendation:

Failing that, a wifi extender that connects wirelessly to your router would need to be placed close to the void as it needs to have a good signal to the original router in order to work.

This would be best suited, but the question is which one to buy, there are so many and I am not tech to know one from another. We were looking at Netgear ones, maybe either WN3000RP or EX6100 but no idea if one is better than other or in fact if we should be looking at these at all and need to be looking at something different.

Personally, I think a powerline extender would work better for you overall, but any of the devices on this page would work reasonably well.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=powerline&storeId=10151&langId=-1&pageS...

I recommend Officeworks as if you take it home and it doesn't work for you they will allow returns.

Fleet

Thanks, I don't even know if powerpoint upstairs is on the same circuit.

Good thought with Officeworks, hadn't thought of the return option. Now it is just a matter of working out what the differences are between each extender, hopefully they can explain.
Accepted Solution

Mostly, the differences are in total throughput capacity (speed) and range.

If they are anything like my local officeworks, their training has improved markedly over the past few years.

For most houses, there are usually only a handful of electrical circuits (Lighting, Power, Heating). My house has 3 power circuits, but I am on 3 phase power. Have a look in the meter box and see what is written on the circuit breakers, that will usually give a pretty good idea.

You could then plug a lamp into each of the sockets you plan to use and see if they are switched off by the same circuit breaker.

Fleet

Many thanks for your insight. I will have a play tonight and head out to select best option on Saturday.
Thanks again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now