CrowdSupport®
Jumanji2015
Level 4: Private Eye

Cancellation of home landline out of nbn50 pakage

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help as Telstra overseas support is appalling as always.

Around Jan 2018 NBN became available in my area so I switched to NBN5 bundled with the existing home phone line. The NBN component had a 24 months minimum term and I am happy with that.

The home phone line component cost $10+2.93 for silent line with 1 month minimum term.

I have some 3-4 months left to complete the 24 month bundle contract but I would like to cancel the home phone line only now. This appears ridiculously difficult or impossible!

One Telstra person told me the home phone line was not locked in but would still cost $190, why?

I rang again and another person told me it's impossible to cancel just the home phone line because the contract was 24 months.

I explained the original Telstra email I have with the 1 month minimum term but she denied such thing exists. She would not give me an email address to send her the I was reading out and when I requested she connects me to her supervisor she blatantly refused because "I was not listening'.

Appreciate any help which explains the 1 months minimum term which now must be 24 months, or how to get this line disconnected ASAP while retaining the NBN.

Many Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cancellation of home landline out of nbn50 pakage

The old plans included a phone line but no free calls but you could opt to pay an extra $10 per month for free national calls. You have to keep the home phone as it part of your NBN package but you should be able to cancel the free calls and silent number. If support refuse to do this raise a complaint by ringing 132200 and when asked say for reason of call say complaint or use online form at link below.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

Jumanji2015

Thanks but it does not answer why Telstra reneges contractual obligations.

The plan is not old as it runs till February next year.

Initially I was told the switch from ADSL2+ with phone line will be the same on NBN with phone line.

That turned out to be totally untrue as I started incurring mystery 'Additional charges'.

To make things hard for the consumer Telstra removes the detailed previous month calls information when the new billing cycle starts.

To get access in this 21st century, one has to call and request the last months called numbers. Note that other providers still give you access to such information.

So I rang support to be told that 1300 numbers attract additional charges.

So I made a point of not dialing 1300 numbers and still incurred charges, this time it was  6 calls to 131 numbers.

Obviously Telstra designed this 'free' service I pay $12.93/month as a means to trick me into additional charges, that's why I want OUT.

Can anyone explain why my contract from 1 Jan 2018 stipulates 1 month minimum term (while the NBN was for 24 months) and why does Telstra deny such thing exists?

And, why with 3-4 months left on the plan it would cost me $190 to remove just the phone line.

Many thanks.

Level 25: The Singularity

Your plan is an old one as it is no longer available to sign up to. 

You can't remove the actual phone line as it is included as part of the NBN service.  You can remove the additional $10 per month call pack. 

As @cf4 said, if the consultant can't/won't remove the call pack, you will need to lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints 

You can get the caked numbers from previous billing periods by logging in to your account via the Telstra.com website and clicking on "Your Bill" on the right hand side, then "View detailed bill", then "Full itemized usage - csv".

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jumanji2015

You sound like a Telstra sales person deflecting queries by suggesting upgrades or things that don't work.

I have a current contract so it's not OLD as it runs till February 2020.

So all I want to know is why Telstra reneges on the 1 month minimum term for the home phone line, why is it stated in the plan and now no one wants to discuss it?

Secondly, viewing the historical data as you suggest I already explained why it does not work and I'll do it one more time, something to help the learning process.

In the real world this is what happens:

my billing month ends on the 30th.

A few days after that date I get a bill which may have secret 'additional charges'.

If I access that "Full itemized usage - csv" that only shows me the last few days in the current billing period not the calls from the last month I just got the bill for, got it?

Then I had to call support (3-4 times for the last 5 months) and even they were not sure if they could access the details for the month just past, but they do and have emailed me the .csv file.

So please no more Telstra people avoiding a straight answer with side issues or offers.

Can anyone explain the 1 month minimum term for the house phone line as part of a 24 month NBN plan and why can't it be cancelled after 1 months as written in my contract?

Cheers.

To view an itemised usage

1. Go to view detailed bill
  2. Select view bill history
  3. Select view bill in the right hand column for the bill you want a detailed usage.
  4. Select full itemised usage cvs

See images below.

BE4E59F1-8EB2-43D1-A07A-779ADB90B765.jpeg

8512EDAB-892B-41CB-8A69-67B234A7246F.jpegBB30E7ED-C7D8-4909-9AAD-061F143EE2CD.jpeg0412A679-D1B5-4D53-BD1F-8BA22ECA5B4D.jpeg

As already explained by @Jupiter and myself you should be able to cancel the $10 add on for free calls with no penalty, but you will still have a phone service but Your monthly bill will be reduced by $10 as you will now have to pay for all outgoing calls.

The contract is old in the sense that it is no longer sold to new customers.

Highlighted

And don't forget to select the month that you want the detailed usage for. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now