CrowdSupport®
DarrinNorman
Level 2: Rookie

Changing Plan while in contract

Answered
Hi there just been speaking with somone in chat and i was told i cant bump up my account to more data without terminating my existing contract and occuring a few hundred in cancellation fees. Is this correct? As i wasnt aware i couldnt change my plan to any other telstra plan. Currently on the 24gb nbn pensioner plan. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing Plan while in contract

Hi @DarrinNorman

The $50 early re-contracting fee no longer applies, so you'll be able to re-contract your home bundle without any additional charges. The only additional cost you may incur is some pro-rata charges which will cover the cost of your old plan and new plan during the billing month. You can place the order online, in store or by calling us on 13 22 00.

I do apologise for any confusion caused. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Hi DarrinNorman,

Thanks for reaching out regarding this, can I please confirm if you have been told if these fees are service cancellation fees or fees for a modem/other device?

Please let me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 23: Superhero

Something smells there!

I always thought you can always increase above your contracted amount but decrease below.. Can you do it yourself via your MyAccount?

Cheers,
Dave

DarrinNorman

Hi there thanks for replying.
Ill type the the reply from the girl who helped me on this.

"1. The current plan you have is an invite only plan (Meaning exclusive for pensioner like you) And this plan is not available online. Having said that, if you will choose a plan you can see online, it means you will be breaking the current contract and that means paying the termination fee."

and i asked "will that be the $50 reconnecting fee?"

"Then she says That $50 early recontacting fee has been taken off 2 years ago so that is not applicable anymore. Which means you will not be charged for it, but the contract cancellation fee instead.
The contract will end 30/11/2019, the contract cancellation fee is $273.87 as of today (May 24)"

Im on a 24gb plan and want to be able to watch netflix but chewing through this data so quickly.
thanks again.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Darrin, my colleague is correct as if you choose to take up a larger or different plan option it will mean breaking the current offer you are on. This may incur charges to do so. I would suggest looking at our plans in more detail to see if the change shall benefit your needs. A full listing of these offers can be found at  http://tel.st/83vp

DarrinNorman

Is it really going to be $273? Never been with an internet provider that charged just to get more data. Like i can understand $50 but yeah.So your telling me its going to cost the same as if i just cancel the account and go else where, where i can get a better data plan, rather than cancel it and change plans through telstra?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi there @DarrinNorman

That does not quite sound entirely right to me, are you able to contact sales on 13 22 00, to double check this. 

Unless you are specifically cancelling, you should be able to change plans without incurring a large fee.

- Will

DarrinNorman

Well i went to a telstra store and the guy there said it has to be done over live chat and will probably incur a $50 fee. ill give that number a try Smiley Happy

Level 23: Superhero

All sounds mad and expensive, guess I’m stuck in the old days. Hopefully you get things sorted without being expected to sign another contract ect. 

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi @DarrinNorman

The $50 early re-contracting fee no longer applies, so you'll be able to re-contract your home bundle without any additional charges. The only additional cost you may incur is some pro-rata charges which will cover the cost of your old plan and new plan during the billing month. You can place the order online, in store or by calling us on 13 22 00.

I do apologise for any confusion caused. 

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now