CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Confusion with porting and redirection

I was hoping someone could help me here.

I have a landline number that i'd like to keep with an optus reseller. The number is not with optus but with the reseller.

I have moved to a new exchange so this number can't be ported there. I signed up to a telstra home plan bundle and got assigned a new number. All good.

I however before doing this asked for my old phone number to be redirected to this number. I spoke to one Telstra operator who said you need to speak to the reseller and do it at their end.

The resellers are not sure how to do this and will get back to me. Still waiting.

Another Telstra operator told me to disconnect your service with the other service provider and he can then do the redirection at telstra end. I am not confident doing this. Can you guarantee the number won't be lost in the exchange and it will be impossible to get it back.

I am open to all avenues. I can sign up for another landline with telstra at my current address where the number is currently and then once number gets ported to you guys (if you can do it) , you can the do the exchange based redirection.

The rep who signed me up "Elle" said she can do the direction for free and now i am being told it will cost me $130/year prepair.

Why did the rep give me wrong information. If this was the case i could have signed up with another cheaper service provider. Please assist me rather than Telstra because they promised me.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Confusion with porting and redirection

Heya ConfusedAs,

If you have moved to another exchange, the existing number you are wishing to retain will not be available at the new exchange.

In disconnecting your existing number, the number you wish to keep, you would be forfeiting the number and thus this is certainly not ideal if you are indeed trying to retain it in order to have calls still received and forwarded on this line.

If you are wishing to have all calls to your existing line forwarded to your new Telstra line, this is something your existing provider needs to organise as we do not have authority to configure another provider's service.

Therefore, don't disconnect your existing line, it might be worth finding out if your provider supports call redirection and go from there, however by the sounds of things, it may not be an offered solution. In that case, chances are you may have to surrender the number.

I apologise if you were provided with incorrect information. :\

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Renee for getting back to me . I decided to sign up for a Telstra landline at my current address and have my number ported to Telstra so they can do the redirection. The rep i spoke to did say i have to pay $130 for 12 months however i was reading the

"Our Customer Terms Page 1 of 23
Basic Telephone Service Section"

clause 6.37 and 6.38. I believe this applies in my case and this is what the rep "Elle" who signed me up was saying about free number redirection for 12 months.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I can certainly understand your confusion around this, especially since you have been given conflicting answers in regards to this.

I will follow up on this for you & get back to you to confirm how to go about this 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If a customer ports a number to Telstra and we are not able to provide that number to that same address due to ours and the other providers exchanges areas not matching up we offer the redirection. In all other circumstances a fee is applied for a redirection service.

As you have moved house I can confirm that you would not be eligible for the free redirection stated in our terms.

If your existing provider does not offer redirection then your only option would be to move that number across to Telstra and then set it up as a redirection service at $130 annually.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more