CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jwakeham
Level 1: Cadet

Connection fee question

Answered

Hi,

At my house we have three telephone wall outlets; two are connected to our current telstra phone number/line, while the third is disconnected (it was a secondary phone line that we used back in the days of dial up internet). We would like to connect the third wall outlet to our current line/number as we can now get ADSL/ADSL2 in the area and that is the connector that is in the office/study which is where we would like the modem/router.

I asked the operator when I called about the broadband plans and they said it would just be the $55 ADSL connection fee. This didn't sound right as I was under the impression that it would require a technician to come and connect it to the current line, which was confirmed when I went to the telstra store; however, I forgot to ask about the price. I've found the connection fees on the telstra website but im not sure what this would be classified as:

Existing phone line

No technician visit requiredStandard Connection – First line $59 / Additional $59
Temporary Connection – First line $159 / Additional $159
Technician visit required, no cabling work

Standard Connection – First line $125 / Additional $75.50
Temporary Connection – First line $225 / Additional $175.50

Technician visit required, cabling work neededStandard Connection – First line $299 / Additional $179
Temporary Connection – First line $399 / Additional $279

New service connection

Technician visit requiredStandard Connection $299
Temporary Connection $399
Technician visit required – Telstra Velocity8Standard Connection – First line $299 / Additional $179
Temporary Connection – First line $399 / Additional $279

Additional Connection Point (socket)*

Standard Connection Point (socket) $99
Non Standard Connection Point (socket) $179
Technical Call out fee $75**

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kjfal
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Connection fee question

Hi there Smiley Happy

In order to get an additional socket hooked up to your existing line you can definitely call Telstra and have this done, however the fee you were quoted on the phone was, as you suspected, incorrect (the fee they have quoted you is that of a new connection or relocation of ADSL to an already active phone line)

The applicable fee would be the last one you have listed which is the $99 +$75 tech call-out fee (there are additional charges if the work takes longer than expected but given your socket is existing I can't see this applying)

That being said, any licensed electrician is able to hook up an existing socket to the other line for you, so it might be worth getting a quote from someone local first Smiley Happy

Please Note: I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity; the views expressed in this post are mine only and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra. I am in no way authorised to speak on behalf of Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Welcome to CrowdSupport

Connection of another existing socket to your current number is probably best done via a 3rd party contractor, unless you want another number setup with it.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 23: Superhero

You need to contract your own licensed cabler (most electricians are) to perform the work for you. Telstra generally won't connect an extension socket for you after a line has already been connected.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
kjfal
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Hi there Smiley Happy

In order to get an additional socket hooked up to your existing line you can definitely call Telstra and have this done, however the fee you were quoted on the phone was, as you suspected, incorrect (the fee they have quoted you is that of a new connection or relocation of ADSL to an already active phone line)

The applicable fee would be the last one you have listed which is the $99 +$75 tech call-out fee (there are additional charges if the work takes longer than expected but given your socket is existing I can't see this applying)

That being said, any licensed electrician is able to hook up an existing socket to the other line for you, so it might be worth getting a quote from someone local first Smiley Happy

Please Note: I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity; the views expressed in this post are mine only and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra. I am in no way authorised to speak on behalf of Telstra.
Level 21: Augmented

Just to clarify, Kjfal is correct in this matter Telstra can do it for a fee for service and the cost quoted seems about right. Generally you might be able to get a local contractor cheaper however.
Lathania

Is this a recent change. A few months ago when I was arranging my new connection at my new property they refused to do additional extensions.

All that being said, as others have said, it's often cheaper to look local anyway.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

I believe there are sometimes certain circumstances which can change whether they will or not on a pro-install Kalak but it's certainly something Telstra techs can do for a cost.

Perhaps they thought you meant coaxial joints Kalak? Noticed you just got cable =P
Lathania

Nah, this was a standard PSTN new line install.

Not sure then sorry, you seemed to have been mis-advised.
Lathania

Wouldn't be the first time Smiley Wink

Learnt something new Smiley Happy

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Guys in Sales generally don't know how to put through a Fee For Service job in Siebel, so its harder then you think Smiley Wink

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jwakeham
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the replies everyone, they are very much appreciated. I had heard that people other than telstra could do it but I wasn't sure how correct that was, so thats good to know and might be something to look into before getting telstra to do it.
Thanks again Smiley Happy

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now