CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Line_Noise
Level 1: Cadet

Damage Lead-In Cable

Answered

Hello all,

When I was in the roof space and under the house I noticed that there were numerous cuts, joins and splices in the Telephone lead-in cable.  The lead-in enters the rear of the house and transits to the middle of the house where is runs down a cavity wall to the first socket. Before it gets to the socket there are numerouse splices and what appears to be an old central splitter.

My line has noticable noise on it when making a call but my ADSL2+ speeds are still at 913 / 18000 so its not a huge problem for me (I am not using Naked ADSL).  Having said all that I would like to get the lead-in cable repaired and terminated to the current specification (a NTD will need to be installed before the first socket - correct me if I'm wrong) and relocate the first socket to my "network cupboard".

So I have two questions ...

1. I moved from Telstra to iiNet for my internet and telephony services a few years ago.  Is the Lead-in still Telstra responsibility?

2. Will Telstra replace / repair the Lead-in or is there a list of Telstra approved contractors who can do it?

I would be grateful for any advice regarding Lead-in repairs and upgrades.

Regards and thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Damage Lead-In Cable

Telstra are responsible until the 'Network Boundary Point'. Depending on the age of the property and how it is cabled this could be a grey box on the side of the house, or all the way to the first socket.

If it's not causing a fault, and isn't posing a danger, then I doubt Telstra care if it looks untidy. If you wanted to do anything to internal wiring within your property, then pretty much any licensed electrician is qualified to do this.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Dear Mr Line Noise !!

I'm not Telstra, but my understanding is that if you assign your telephone line to another providor, Telstra is no longer responsible, as the line is assigned to that providor.

Regardless, even if you were still a Telstra customer, to the best of my knowledge,  Telstra would only be  responsible o to the first point of entry, which would the outside of your house.

Hope that helps, and others may have a different understanding of your situation.

Regards,   Professor Phone

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra are responsible for the network. It doesn't matter who your provider is, they still get Telstra to do the work.

In this case, because there is no fault being caused there is no reason from Telstra's point of view to do anything. If you would like to tidy up the cable then you could get an electrician to do so at your own expense.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Line_Noise
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the replies.  It is my understanding that Telstra, regardless of which service provider you use, is the owner / responsible entity for the infrastructure cabling to the first point (mode 3 socket usually) not just to the house entry point - but I could be wrong.

I suppose to clarify my question I was really asking if I am abliged to report / request Testra to provide the repair or if I could go to another approved cabling contractors.  And if I am able to go somewhere else for the repair can someone point me in the direction of a list of those contractors.

Thanks again for your responses.

Accepted Solution

Telstra are responsible until the 'Network Boundary Point'. Depending on the age of the property and how it is cabled this could be a grey box on the side of the house, or all the way to the first socket.

If it's not causing a fault, and isn't posing a danger, then I doubt Telstra care if it looks untidy. If you wanted to do anything to internal wiring within your property, then pretty much any licensed electrician is qualified to do this.

itu1972
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Basically you have two requests. 1 to repair the cable and 2 to move 1st socket to a cupboard. So unless you have a faulty service Telstra is under no obligation to attend. If a fault is caused by the joints, the tech is still not responsible to move the socket. Suggest you contact an authorized electrician to do the work.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now