CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
30yearCustomer
Level 2: Rookie

Disconnected before porting completed

Has anyone else experienced this or similar when trying to port a home number:

Requested my home phone number to be ported to a different provider. March 7

Telstra received the port request and disconnected the home phone, March 11, and advised the receiving provider that the porting request was rejected as the number was disconnected. Visited my Telstra store in Perth to resolve the issue. The store advised that I need to contact the porting team on 132200. spent 45 minutes on the phone to the call centre before getting put through to porting/sales. Advised by Telstra that in order to get my number reinstated to allow the porting to proceed I had to open a new account, sign up for a new service and wait till the 16th March for a tech to attend at the exchange to activate my service. I have now been without a home phone since the 11th of March and find the procedure to get Telstra's mistake resolved somewhat cumbersome and unusual.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Disconnected before porting completed

As long as you didn't tell Telstra to cancel your service, then you shouldn't have needed to sign up for a new service to get it ported.

If all you did was to request your new provider to provide you with a service and port your number across, then it should have occurred without issue. The problem should have been able to be rectified by your new provider as they should just have lodged a query about the reason with Telstra and got it fixed.

If however, you told Telstra to cancel your services, then that would have been your mistake as that is the wrong way round and would definitely result in your number not being immediately available for porting as the service would no longer exist to port.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
30yearCustomer

Hi Jupiter,
Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.
To confirm; I have not yet requested Telstra to cancel my phone service.
The normal port request process was performed by the new provider and they received a rejection notice. The new provider advised me by email of the porting failure and at my request contacted Telstra to determine the reason the porting had been rejected. Telstra advised that the number had been disconnected and could not therefore be ported.

The call centre passed me to a Telstra porting/sales person who was very helpful and tried very hard to resolve the problem but her manager advised that the new account et al was the only way to resolve it.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @30yearCustomer

We certainly don't want to lose you as a customer & apologise for any inconvenience you've encountered with this. 

Despite what's happened it does sound like it's on the right path to being sorted if you're being reconnected & then looking to port out. 

If you'd like to discuss anything account specific, please call us on 132200 or securely online here 

While we should be able to help with this through our normal channels, if you're having trouble getting this resolved or investigated, please raise a complaint through our online form here & a dedicated case manager will be assigned to work with you to help resolve the matter. 

Upon submitting, you will receive a reference number that looks similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX & can expect contact within 5 business days.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

30yearCustomer

Hi @ShannonD, and thank you for your response.
The disconnection of the telephone number should not have happened in the first instance, however mistakes do happen and that is part of being human.
That said, the requirement to sign up for a NEW Telstra service in order to get my number reconnected, given that my account of 30 plus years is still active and being paid for, is a procedure or policy that Telstra really needs to take a objective look at.

After reading multiple posts on the Telstra Crowd Support site I have now lodged a formal complaint to Telstra on this matter as it appears that if no formal complaint is made, then the underlying cause will go unaddressed and manifest at some future point on another customer.
Thanks again for your response and advice.
Support Team
Support Team

No worries @30yearCustomer

We appreciate you letting us know.

Please keep hold of the reference & if for some reason you do not get contacted within the time frame I've mentioned, please let me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now