CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
vonbrevis
Level 2: Rookie

Home phone line problem?

Answered

Hello,

Telstra has been having difficulty connecting my home phone since I moved to a new house last month. The phone has a dial tone and when i try to call out or anyone calls in I get a message saying the phone is not connected. I am able to call telstra's 13 number but nobody else. I also have BigPond ADSL coming through the line with no problems. They did connect the phone initially but then disconnected it after about two weeks.

Telstra keeps telling me that the line is the problem but I would have thought that if the line didn't work the phone would be dead and the internet wouldn't work (I am not a technician). They sent a guy out to fix the line yesterday but after he finished it was exactly the same as before.

This is only a small segment of the litany of ineptitude I have enjoyed from Telstra over the past six weeks but this is the thing I am most baffled by.

If someone with some technical knowledge can enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vonbrevis
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone line problem?

It's now 21 May and my phone works again. Peter at Telstra noticed that the line hadn't been set up correctly (none of the other 18 people I spoke to had noticed this) so he pressed a couple of buttons and it works.

This solution probably won't be much use to most of the problems people are having but I would suggest that if nobody at Telstra can fix your phone or tell you why it doesn't work, ask to speak to Peter.

Now to wait and see if I get my $2500 as per the Customer Service Guarantee...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Vonbrevis,

Are you still having difficulties with your phone service?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

vonbrevis

Hi Shelly,

I've been on holidays for the last three weeks but was told the phone would be working by 22 April. It is now 8 May and the phone is still not connected. I found a note left in my mailbox from a Telstra technician saying that he needs to access the premises to fix the problem.

Are you or anyone at Telstra able to answer my initial question?

Thanks.

vonbrevis
Accepted Solution

It's now 21 May and my phone works again. Peter at Telstra noticed that the line hadn't been set up correctly (none of the other 18 people I spoke to had noticed this) so he pressed a couple of buttons and it works.

This solution probably won't be much use to most of the problems people are having but I would suggest that if nobody at Telstra can fix your phone or tell you why it doesn't work, ask to speak to Peter.

Now to wait and see if I get my $2500 as per the Customer Service Guarantee...

Olsen
Level 1: Cadet

For a week now we cannot use our phone as it's crackly we had hope it would correct itself but it hasn't.
Tarsils

Re: Home phone line problem

My line gives an incorrect dial tone, and crossed lines. In/out calls still working. I cannot raise Telstra on the phone despite extreme measures. How do I lodge a complaint in writing? Every screen takes me to a phone number!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tarsils

What sort of dial tone are you getting?
Would it happen to be a very rapid one? If so it maybe that you've got a message on Home Messages 101 - just call 101 and listen to any messages to get rid of that dial tone :-)

Any other issues with your Home Phone you can report online here: https://service.telstra.com.au/general/home-phone-fault/form?execution=e1s1

Regarding getting through to us - we're really sorry about the delays. Due to the bad weather in a couple of states, our Faults and Technical Support services are very busy at the moment, so there can be extensive delays. We're working to improve this asap. 

However you can certainly lodge a complaint in writing. There are a few options, and they're listed here: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints
At the moment it is a wait of around 5 business days for a Complaints Manager to be able to contact you - however I'm sure they'll do their absolute best to help you with your complaint.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jn2

My home phone line is stuck on the same message displayed  ' The line is in use' and 'busy' despite I use broadband.

colhills

hi my home phone is not working, can you tell me what the problem is, thanks col hills.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ColHills, 

If you are having issues with your Home Telephone service, firstly pop your postcode in  http://tel.st/6x6a to check for any current reported outages in your area. 

If there is nothing reported, you will need to lodge a Fault either online  http://tel.st/dv2z or by speaking with our 24x7 Residential Faults team on 132203. 

Kind Regards 

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now