CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
adrianw1712
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: How to find someone to speak to at Telstra in Australia

Anyone who has lost their internet connection because of the incompetence of Telstra employees can do as I have done and setup your mobile phone as a wifi hotspot and connect your wifi devices to it so that you can access the internet.

Then call Telstra billing and ask them to give you free data on your mobile until such time as the fault is fixed.

I've contacted them four times to do this and have used about 90GB so far streaming via my laptop and Telstra TV box.

At least it will enable you to get connected.

I was supposed to be cutover to the NBN 7 days ago but my line went dead when the tech had completed the work in the node. It's obvious what the fault is and it's also obvious where it is but I can't get anyone to fix it. There's supposed to be a tech looking at it today so hopefully he's the exception to the rule and knows his anus from his elbow.

tashiz86
Level 1: Cadet

I swapped over to the NBN on the 11th July. Since then, I have had to deal with your customer contact department that many times that I am fed up. My service was doomed from the start, and after constant back and forth, and constant "remote" fixes, my service began working the day before the technician was due to attend my premises. So when the technician called, and was told it was working, he didn't attend the premises. Fast forward 2 days later, the service stops working again. I've now spent the last 2 days waiting for the technician, as I was told he would be attending the premises today, only to now be told that this was "closed" and that nobody would be attending, saying they cannot help me and cannot tell me when my service will be active.
I do work from home, and without this work I cannot afford to eat, as my 5 days a week job does not pay enough, being on a minimum wage and living alone and paying rent and bills. So now I am left with no money, and I won't be able to eat tomorrow due to telstra's incompetence. I am now on hold trying to reach a complaints department, and it seems this is useless too.
I have also tried your live chat option, and it hasn't worked because it's an NBN issue and for that I have to call you.
Every person has told me that Telstra will compensate me for the time I've had no internet, but will you be buying me food and paying my rent? No. So unless I get some kind of resolution today, I will be going to the ombudsman.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi tashiz86,

I'm really sorry to read that this fault has effected you so greatly, that's not good at all.

If you have a case number you can share with me I can see what I can find out. 

In regards to escalating the matter to a complaint, you can do this online, more on that here Lodging a complaint with Telstra

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

steve2529
Level 2: Rookie

Is there anyway to talk to a regional or National Custoner Service Manager in Australia. I still have issues after 6 weeks,  a multitude of phone calls and even after lodging complaint to ombudsman.

This got some attention and some reimbursement however I still some issues to be resolved, but complaints handler seems to have gone missing. Apparently no one else in the world can assist. It has been two weeks, several emails and phone calls to say she is not available and will call in 24 hours. I think she is confused with 24 days, could even be years with Telstra.

There has to be a contact person in Australia!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Steve, 

We do have a global workforce and it would be based on what consultant is available to take the call. You can't request the location of a consultant sorry. Be best to chat here  http://tel.st/hsc3 with the complaint reference number and they can emails your case manager to call ASAP. 

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

steve2529

you should try an get your stories correct, I got below emails and since then not  able to talk toanyone elase but her. The problem is Lea does not return emails or calls.

Probably best to talk to Omdudsman again.

Just a quick email to confirm I have received your complaint from the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) in relation to your service difficulty and to provide you with my contact details.

Complaint Reference: 1-1203512217291

My Name               Lea Joy Elizabeth Bigsat

My Email               Lea.Bigsat@team.telstra.com

Contact Number     1800 135 646 PIN 1138 (a free call from fixed phones)

Office Hours          Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm AEST

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I said it would be best to chat here http://tel.st/hsc3 with the complaint reference number and they can email your case manager to call ASAP. I said they will ask them to call.  I have also emailed them for you to call. 

bailey2010

I have rang the three numbers that I got off the internet and NOT one of them are still available Steve. The only way I got anywhere was to ask to speak to a CASE MANAGER.Finally after 8 days the problem ws solved and the case manager did that in 15 minutes. The call centres are hopeless.Telstra are still getting my billing wrong though so had to get that rsolved the other day too.There is soooo much incompetence with this company and the stress it causes.
JRTB

Another example of poor customer service by Telstra's offshore call centre

Today I tried to change a business contact on a account as the address has changed and the contact is no longer employed by our company.

The offshore call centre refused to help despite us having the correct account info. We were told to visit a Telstra shop, last time we did this we sat down and were handed a phone to call telstra business - AFter 1 hour I gave up asking for an Australian number.

A heated discussion with Michelle in the media department failed to get a result. BTW Michelle is not very customer friendly.

Finally I spoke to - yes, a agent in Australia !!!!!!

She resolved the issue immediatly. Thank you.

1.5 hrs of agro resolved without fuss in a reasonable manner by a skilled Australian based employee.

Take note Telstra - one person based in Australia resolved my issue in less than 5 min - you paid 7 people in the Philippines for a total of 1hr 23min along with one media person in Sydney not to help me. 

As a business owner I know where I would be spending my customer service money.

Happy with Aussie service, Philippines waste of time - Media lady - god help Telstra.

Happy to speak with anybody from Telstra about the above

Jamie Brown

Privacy

We are all to blame, as consumers we should all unite together and go against Telstra, and our corrupt government, who allowed our "PRIVACY" to be violated by such morons.  They have no idea about our needs, country, people with medical priority, silent line, or why we register on the (DO NOT CALL REGISTER).  Since these call centres went overseas that's when SCAM CALLS became a part of our lives, especially people with medical problems.

As a nation we should (ALL) demandand and start a class action suit against Telstra & the Government as nobody asked US, if we wanted our personal data Offshore in idiots hands being hands to others people without our knowledge or concsent.  To them it's all about MONEY, nothing to do about customer satisfaction.  I'm a victim both by Telstra and these scam calls, since it went offshore with these operators even threatening me, so much we customer service.

GET RID OF ALL THESE OFFSHORE CALL CENTRES, AND BRING JOBS  BACK TO AUSTRALIA.  OTHERWISE LET OUR POLITICIANS PAY ALL OUR BILLS!!!  THESE TELCOS ARE A **bleep**EN JOKE, WITH NO CONCEPT OR UNDERSTANDING WHAT AUSTRALIAN NEEDS ARE!!!

Privacy

Why don't you stop your bull**bleep** & tell the true!!! I'm intitiled to PRIVACY, not a idiot whom I don't understand and my information is treated with little to no respect. As for how efficient (0). I want an Australian call centre & a resolution that doesn't taken weeks, It's that what each one of us are paying for???? To TELSTRA IS PROFIT first, Customers SECOND!!!
bailey2010

I have said many. many times that TELSTRA  does not understand or CARE for that matter just how much STRESS  is caused by their incompetence with overseas call centres. The CEO of TELSTRA needs to do his job and have a look at ALL these complaints. I called about my netgear modem the other day and the call centre then sends me a email telling me to turn my mobile phone off then turn it back on again to see if that would fix the problem.THE CALL WAS NOT EVEN ABOUT MY MOBILE PHONE. I still have the message on my phone.As many people have said on this forem, we should all get together and have a class action as no one can stress people out like this and cause them ill health with the stress.

sid6

Thank you !!! you seem to be the only one who has any sense and goes to the core of the question  You're right about the OS call-centres not wanting to let us in on the secret of aussie representatives   much thanks  Sid

bailey2010

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A CLASS ACTION AGAINST TELSTRA AS THE STRESS THAT IS CAUSED TO TELSTRA CUSTOMERS IS DEPLORABLE AND, ACTUALLY CAUSES ILL HEALTH. I have not been to this forum for awhile so I don't know if your problem has been sorted out for you.I had to call Telstra the other day again to have a problem fixed with a modem and of course got nowhere with these terrible call centres. I could not hang on any longer in that call because of the incompetents in the call centre not understanding what I was on about.PEOPLE HAVE NOT GOT TIME FOR ALL THIS, ON THE PHONE FOR AGES.Then what really blew me away, the girl I was talking to at the call centre sends me a text concerning my mobile phone and where to get help.The call in the first place was NOT about my mobile phone and it was never mentioned at all during conversation.MY FIRST THOUGHT THEN WAS,WHERE IN THE HELL DOES ONE GO FROM HERE.They are the worst company I have ever dealt with and something needs to be done.One has to wonder what the CEO of Telstra is doing about all these complaints. OBVIOUSLY NOTHING.

bailey2010

I insisted on a superviser and that's when I was put onto a case worker.They have to do this and tell the person you are speaking to at the time that you need to be put through to either of these as you cannot understand the person you are already talking to .There is another script I have posted to this post also.
bailey2010

well. well. well.Take the damn phone numbers off listings then.

bailey2010

I wrote a post concerning we should all get together and launch a class action against Telstra.only last Tuesday.The stress that they cause is unbelievable.
stevostheaus

I have just gone through a 24/7 Chat process, and it appears that there is no support for a] Cable users, and b] Apple users. So compared to what Optus offers (have been previously with Optus for 10 years) this falls way short. The alternative is to call Telstra support... Who wants to do that and wait on hold for an hour, or actually visit a store, which I have 3 times in the last 3 days.

Can anyone offer another way of getting a proper support service from home?

Myapp2017

None of these numbers work
BlueBear1052

<removed to protect privacy>@bigpond.com

Would love to know a number so I could speak to an aussie too each time!

charliebrown

The 132200 is still only palming us off to foreign call centres, even during normal Aussie business hours. Not. Happy. Jan. Meanwhile, my contract is about to expire in a few days and I've still not heard from them...guess they don't want my money after all...

Matti75

I'm having the SAME problem right now! ...Just trying to get my new Note 8 delivered which I was promised to receive 3 weeks ago (& many other times since then) & after repeating my story 40 different times with 40 different Telstra representatives from apparently 40 different locations - I now have 40 different excuses as to where my Note 8 is! (One lady's solution was to disconnect my service to stop my enquiries hahaha!). Seriously Telstra, how hard can it be!???

ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

Re: Another example of poor customer service by Telstra's offshore call centre

Hi JRTB

If the spirit moves you, please post (or PM me if reluctant to post for whatever reason) how you managed to get onto an Aussie. 

We're (my wife and I) presently trying to get connected to NBN - and not because we're desperate to but because 'Mansion Mal' thinks it'll be character-building for us (and the rest of Australia). We're about at the stage steve2529 was at above on "31-07-2017 11:57 PM". That is, we've complained to the TIO, who's thrown the ball to Telstra (Manilla), who've made token attempts to contact us. Then, we've phoned back, and someone who ISN'T the case manager tells us "he's busy", but he'll call you back "within a 24 hour time-frame" (and doesn't)...

So, if there is a combination of words that will get a feller through to one of his countrymen/women who actually gives a rats about him, I'd love to hear them. They might come in handy.

I note a lot of passion and frustration above. Our politicians would do well to note - not that any Australian politician in all probability will, most today being far too remote from the concerns of the relatively-powerless to care - that many voters aspire to be part of part of a culturally-unified nation rather than a culturally fragmented corporate empire.

Aside: I also note the contributions of Telstra-ites Iain_T and Angela_H. Perhaps they might care to re-post and declare whether they, themselves, are located in Australia or overseas. It would add context to their advice.

ausgumbie

venusplate

the number no longer exists! needs to be updated.

Nellie58

These numbers are no longer in use 1800830011 and 1800814242 So back to the useless call centres wow is me!!!!!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There are no phone numbers that will guarantee that you will talk to a consultant in Australia. If you prefer, you can now use Live Chat to report faults on ADSL, Cable or NBN services as well as discuss billing and account issues.

Brian1234

Five weeks and  still no phone line or internet and I live 10 KLMs for a capital city ,I call the help line every day and get asked- do you have a dial tone -and I say your guys pulled the cable from my house and cant get it back in of cause there is no dial tone .

This is the most incompetent process  I have every dealt with ,I cant talk to an Australian to try and fix it for me just some OS call centre working off a script .

Shame Telstra Shame your adds are a miss reputation  of how you conduct business and you charged me for the last month of service OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Brian1234, 

Sorry to hear of the poor experience you've had with this issue.  I think the best thing for you to do at this stage is to lodge a complaint.

You'll be assigned a case manager who will be in touch with you as soon as possible to discuss your concerns and work with you to come to a solution. 

You can use any of the methods listed on the page to do so: Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra

Laurencewins

How can I get to speak to an Australian supervisor in the Australian moves department. I have spent approx 10-12 hours on the phone in the last 2 weeks and nothing has yet been done to get me on NBN and landline. I'm also a medical priority customer.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Laurencewins, 

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having getting this move organised. 

When you speak with Telstra, you're connected with the team that best suits your enquiry. There isn't any training or abilities that are decided based on geographical location, but rather the purpose of the team. If you're needing to speak with someone in our moves team, they will have the same training, abilities and access irrespective of location. 

The issue here isn't where my colleague is based, but rather that we have not been able to resolve this enquiry. 
Did you have any reference numbers for your moving request so I can get this followed up? (Examples: What Reference Numbers can I obtain from Telstra?)

Let me know how you go, 
Jesse

Zen104

That link only goes to an OS place as well. Not many of them have good English skills, especially the ability to read. I find i have to repeat my questions several times before they get an inkling. Online chat is pretty much useless anyway, they can never fix anything. They will try to use the occasion to sell you a more expensive plan though.

insane1

well i have been trying for two weeks there quick to send the bills but not with follow ups or what ever else
dragonshaz

how do i get to speak to an australian at telstra
DancingWillow

I totally understand you pain, I understand all the hours you've wasted looking for help. I've spent at least 6 hours either on the phone or on the 24X7 chat link this past month. Here's the conversation I had with a person on the 24X7 chat link:

You: Hi Phani, I've been calling 132200 five times this month for NBN internet connection problems and the services at the call centres I've been directed to aren't too helpful with their services, is there a phone number in which I can call for Australian call centres? Or would it be better if I personally visit the telstra offices in the shopping centres and explain my problem? Also, as for the connection problem, I've had two dropouts within the past week and a bit. One on the *nd which lasted from sometime in the morning to sometime in the evening about 6-7 (in which I still have the reference number if you require) and one today from the morning sometime till 4pm. Today, when I called to a member from telestra, I was advised to wait for a telstra technician, which I did and he arrived today. He looked at the cable connection points within our premise (to which he found no faults) but noticed that the cables outside our premise for NBN are old and needed repair or change. The technician told us that he will file a report for the problem and advised us to contact telstra services again for connection to a hotspot or maybe change the modem to one which provided back up internet when future cable problems occur. However, when I called telstra again, they informed me that today's internet connection problem was because of an outage in the area. I explained that the last time I called them on the *nd with the same internet connection drop out, there was no outage and that today's technician informed us that there may be a problem with the cables. Furthermore, I asked them whether we could be directed to a hotspot or change our modem but they kept on insisting that the problem is an outage. I'm just a little exasperated, frustrated and saddened by the telstra services and wish for some actual, helpful and kind support instead of ones who are already tired and rude from talking with so many customers. Any suggestions for future problems and connectivity issues?
Manepalli:

Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.

And they continue telling that they'll assist me to the best of their ability, in which they answered none of my answers above (probably not even reading it), gave me an international number for further assistance and disconnected before I was able to finish asking a question.

Now here I'm left, back with the unstable internet connection, as it dropped in the chat also Smiley Happy (good times) with the supposedly fixed "outage" that was reported today, and no idea if the cable problem was reported or not and whether it's going to be fixed within 72 hours like the technician said, because the 132200 service member AND the "24x7 Live Chat Service" refused to answer that specific question.

Here's the dropped internet connection in the chat:
Manepalli:

Hi, are we still connected on the chat?

You: Yes
You: Sorry, the internet connection keeps on dropping
Manepalli:

Please call to ***** for further assistance.

And also, since the chat person disconnected me before I was able to ask my question, I wasn't even prepared to right down the number that they gave me for further assistance, and the email transcript blurred the number out. So I'm here wondering whether or not I should try the chat again, wait for half an hour before having a ten minute chat that leaves me with no answers. Smiley Happy

Yes telestra support team, I've tried calling 132200 six times this month. Yes telestra support team I've the "24x7 Live Chat Service". What next? Smiley Happy
DancingWillow

I totally understand you pain, I understand all the hours you've wasted looking for help. I've spent at least 6 hours either on the phone or on the 24X7 chat link this past month. Here's the conversation I had with a person on the 24X7 chat link:

You: Hi Phani, I've been calling 132200 five times this month for NBN internet connection problems and the services at the call centres I've been directed to aren't too helpful with their services, is there a phone number in which I can call for Australian call centres? Or would it be better if I personally visit the telstra offices in the shopping centres and explain my problem? Also, as for the connection problem, I've had two dropouts within the past week and a bit. One on the *nd which lasted from sometime in the morning to sometime in the evening about 6-7 (in which I still have the reference number if you require) and one today from the morning sometime till 4pm. Today, when I called to a member from telestra, I was advised to wait for a telstra technician, which I did and he arrived today. He looked at the cable connection points within our premise (to which he found no faults) but noticed that the cables outside our premise for NBN are old and needed repair or change. The technician told us that he will file a report for the problem and advised us to contact telstra services again for connection to a hotspot or maybe change the modem to one which provided back up internet when future cable problems occur. However, when I called telstra again, they informed me that today's internet connection problem was because of an outage in the area. I explained that the last time I called them on the *nd with the same internet connection drop out, there was no outage and that today's technician informed us that there may be a problem with the cables. Furthermore, I asked them whether we could be directed to a hotspot or change our modem but they kept on insisting that the problem is an outage. I'm just a little exasperated, frustrated and saddened by the telstra services and wish for some actual, helpful and kind support instead of ones who are already tired and rude from talking with so many customers. Any suggestions for future problems and connectivity issues?
Manepalli:

Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.

And they continue telling that they'll assist me to the best of their ability, in which they answered none of my answers above (probably not even reading it), gave me an international number for further assistance and disconnected before I was able to finish asking a question.

Now here I'm left, back with the unstable internet connection, as it dropped in the chat also Smiley Happy (good times) with the supposedly fixed "outage" that was reported today, and no idea if the cable problem was reported or not and whether it's going to be fixed within 72 hours like the technician said, because the 132200 service member AND the "24x7 Live Chat Service" refused to answer that specific question.

Here's the dropped internet connection in the chat:
Manepalli:

Hi, are we still connected on the chat?

You: Yes
You: Sorry, the internet connection keeps on dropping
Manepalli:

Please call to ***** for further assistance.

And also, since the chat person disconnected me before I was able to ask my question, I wasn't even prepared to right down the number that they gave me for further assistance, and the email transcript blurred the number out. So I'm here wondering whether or not I should try the chat again, wait for half an hour before having a ten minute chat that leaves me with no answers. Smiley Happy

Yes telestra support team, I've tried calling 132200 six times this month. Yes telestra support team I've the "24x7 Live Chat Service". What next? Smiley Happy
DancingWillow

Great idea! I tried today asking them for the free data on mobile and the wifi hotspot, as a telstra technician came over today and left sending a report to telstra about cable problems needing to be fixed within 72 hours with the same advise as you with free data. However, when I called them, they claimed that the issue was an outage, despite me having the same problem a week ago, calling them and them saying that it might be a cable problem. So no free data so far and any advise on hotspots, and am left unsure if they are still going to fix the cables. Smiley Happy

By the way, telstra support team, I've tried the 24x7 chat line already. Smiley Happy
DancingWillow

Sigggggghhhhh. I wish I read this post before I used the 24x7 chat thing that every single telstra support team person keeps on posting as if it's some god process when the 132200 is not working. CABLE USERS DO NOT CHAT!!! WASTES 1HR OF YOUR LIFE.

No but seriously, even going to the store won't help? I've called, I've chatted, what do I do next? I feel like crying right now. Maybe I should change companies?
wotzituya

What a load of rot..Was just told by an indian on chat that the reason my net speeds are so slow is because there is an outage in my area.I gott specific,and asked if it has been since sunday night.He said yes and will take a few more days to get it sorted.Now I know there is a telstra outages map which shows where to probs are.Guess what,NOTHING in northern NSW,so he blatantly lied to me because as a technician,he could not help or fix the issue,so easier to lie...Btw,it is now Tuesday night,and I am still trying to watch same show I was trying to watch Sunday night.

Migrated to nbn 4 weeks ago and agreed to a bundle. Have been billed and paid for the new bundle with nbn services. I enjoyed the service for 3 weeks, then out nowhere my landline is cut. I called and was sent on a roller coaster ride within Telstra.

The outcome was sorry the problem is out of our hands.  I did get one English speaking person out of 13 or more others struggling with the language. Telstra tried to contact nbn. Same result  'out of our hands".  It seems that Telstra has lost control over customer support. I called nbn myself, for a curt response "call your supplier"

I don't know how to handle this. I am seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer because I am not able to do my business work at home.

Re: Left on a Limb

Migrated to nbn 4 weeks ago and agreed to a bundle. Have been billed and paid for the new bundle with nbn services. I enjoyed the service for 3 weeks, then out nowhere my landline is cut. I called and was sent on a roller coaster ride within Telstra.

The outcome was sorry the problem is out of our hands.  I did get one English speaking person out of 13 or more others struggling with the language. Telstra tried to contact nbn. Same result  'out of our hands".  It seems that Telstra has lost control over customer support. I called nbn myself, for a curt response "call your supplier"

I don't know how to handle this. I am seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer because I am not able to do my business work at home.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It is not good to read of the poor experience you have had, I apologise for the frustration and inconvenience caused. 

There is only one contact point for our NBN team, which is on 1800 834 273. If they are unable to assist at first point of contact, you can ask for the matter to be escalated to a complaint.

Please don't hesitate to let us know how you go, or contact us about any other matter.

wombatcecil

Those numbers no longer in use. Telecom wants to avoid any interaction with customers!

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@wombatcecil, you were responding to a post that was from 2014, so it is quite likely that numbers have changed in that time.

Also, Telecom is no longer in use. It disappeared in 1995.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now