CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mrandmrscooper
Level 1: Cadet

Making it impossible to be independent

Recently moved out of home after school, started new job, moved into new house.

Tried connecting my phone and internet with Telstra, that was my first mistake.

Wanted to have them connected on March 16 so it was all set to go when I moved in on March 17, so I got in early on March 12 and went into a Telstra store to have it connected. Also asked for an internet package to be connected.

At that time I was not advised that not having a credit rating behind me would affect my connection.

Many many phone calls and visits later and it is still not connected, no one can tell me why. I get a letter saying my application has been decline, one phone call says its connected, another can't do anything for me because I have not received my order number or account number (no one has given it to me even though I am sure they are supposed to!), another tells me I have to get a new number even though I have been given one and handed it out to family and another visit says there is a technical issue.

One phone call said take my house agreement to the store and all should be fine. WRONG!

Anyway, I continue tor ring and be put through to more people who continue to ask how they can help and continue to ask the same questions and continue to put me on hold and continue to put me through to someone else only to go through it all again.

I have a personal loan so I should have a credit rating.

Now someone please tell me, am I going to get my phone connected and my internet modem sent and connected or am I not?

It seems at the moment I am wasting too much time with Telstra when I could have it hooked up already with someone else.

I need these services for my work and if it is not sorted you can just can all my attempts and efforts to connect it and I shall find better service elsewhere.

I am fed up. I was told to take my

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Making it impossible to be independent

a credit rating and the ability to obtain more credit are not one and the same
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
mrandmrscooper

It makes it so very difficult to become independent and stand on your own two feet when everyone needs a credit history, tenant history etc etc etc.

If you want people to join your service, especially younger people, you need to have the services available to those people also.

It makes it incredibly difficult for anyone to live their lives when they rely on these services if you only aim your services to people who have been out of home for 30 years!

mrandmrscooper

Well tell me this...

How can they expect me to have this credit rating or history with them if I am trying to connect a service?

Sure;y if I do not have one with them this is better than having a bad one with them.

If you have a suggestion as to how I can get them to just connect the line, I will gladly try it.

Level 21: Augmented

perhaps you should have tried just getting the phone only connected to start with, lower liability, the more times you apply for credit (even if you don't proceed) has an impact on your credit history
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

@jokiin wrote:
perhaps you should have tried just getting the phone only connected to start with, lower liability, the more times you apply for credit (even if you don't proceed) has an impact on your credit history

As stated by jokiin,  Maybe just connect the telephone line for now and try for the internet at a later period.  Make sure that the bill is paid on time and this way you will get a good billing history with Telstra then apply for Internet.  In the meantime you could get a pre paid wireless broadband option to get online as an option.

I understand its frustrating when you first move out and you dont have any history with anyone but unfortunately that is the way it is.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

One figure that I was told was that Telstra lost $300m in a Financial Year from Bad Debt. The systems were then changed to better protect Telstra from that risk.

I completely understand your situation, as a 19 year old (who has been working for Telstra and other Telcos since I was 15 years old) I too was forced to wait 6 months with a Landline Only before I could get ADSL. And Telstra was the company that was paying me!!

The idea is, however, that People in that age bracket are more likely to default, which makes you a higher risk. When I was working there, they had just started approving 5GB bundles via the PACC team, so perhaps it would be a good idea to call Complaints (13 22 00 and say "Complaint") to get them to chase it up.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Unit01
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Look on the bright side when you get a rating you get all these unsolicited calls asking you to buy this, install this crap, give donations, get contracts with Telcos generally waste your time at least they can't get into your head through the phone line.

Also I once had a povo prepaid service connected it's pretty lame  I don't know if it's still available but if it is you could at least get a home phone and get it changed later.

Regards

John

QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

I here ya mate. It's a real pain to get on your feet if you jump out of home at 18. If you do manage to get this after much pain, great, but this is just is how it is.

I've just broken into my 30s now, but at 17 the first place I moved into I could only connect a basic inbound service that I could use a prepaid calling card on for outbound calls. We had to have that for 12 months until I was 18, when they agreed to connect us with a monthly plan and local call access only. We had to have 6 months of perfect payment history to get STD/Mobile access.

But just as a point, in other "becoming indepent" woes:

• My gf and I at the time needed BOTH our parents to sign our rental agreement and go full gaurantors for the bond. Luckily, they both reluctantly signed.
  • I had a pretty good chunk of cash in the bank by 18, but was then denied a student CC with a $500 limit by the bank that I had an account with since the age of 1.

The list goes on...

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now