CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dragosdydy
Level 1: Cadet

Moving from Italy to Australia

Answered

Hello everyone! On February i'll move to Australia for 3 months with my work. Here in Italy i have an iPhone 4 with micro-sim on Vodafone IT.  I want to ask you if my phone will work on your network? I know there are different frequencies in the USA (i think..) like CDMA or something like that. My question is if i will buy a prepaid sim from Telstra Au, will it work with my current mobile phone? Thanks a lot, waiting for your answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Moving from Italy to Australia

Hi Dragosdydy,

Welcome to our community! 

A couple of things that I would recommend based on my experience working at Telstra. 

First would be to check with your current provider (if you purchased the phone through them) if the phone is locked at all and if it is what the process would be to get it unlocked and any possible fee's involved. 

The next is to check that it'll be compatible with our network. The frequencies we use are 850MHz and 2100MHz for 3G and 1800MHz for 4G (4G not relevant for an iPhone 4 handset as it wouldn't be compatible). From my understanding, there was only 1 type of iPhone 4 sold in the world and it was compatible with both our 850MHz and 2100MHz networks. 

When you do arrive, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. It'd be great if you could share your experiences with the community as well.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
be12345
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sometimes when you place a SIM into a phone, the network provider sends a text message and when you open it up,it sets the info, it should work otherwise you will need to put some info to set it up in the settings.

I would recommend you wait for a direct response from Telstra but that's my experience.

Hope that helps :-)

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Dragosdydy,

Welcome to our community! 

A couple of things that I would recommend based on my experience working at Telstra. 

First would be to check with your current provider (if you purchased the phone through them) if the phone is locked at all and if it is what the process would be to get it unlocked and any possible fee's involved. 

The next is to check that it'll be compatible with our network. The frequencies we use are 850MHz and 2100MHz for 3G and 1800MHz for 4G (4G not relevant for an iPhone 4 handset as it wouldn't be compatible). From my understanding, there was only 1 type of iPhone 4 sold in the world and it was compatible with both our 850MHz and 2100MHz networks. 

When you do arrive, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. It'd be great if you could share your experiences with the community as well.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

dragosdydy
Level 1: Cadet

Hi!! Thanks a lot for your answers!! I'm happy to see that you have answered me so quick and detailed!
I'll check everything you advised me and when I'll be there, i will share my experience with the community because you guys were very kind to me. Thanks a lot and have a nice day!!
be12345
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sorry, I forgot to suggest checking if your phone has been locked to the network (as telstra commented), the best way to check is to pop in a sim card from another mobile carrier and if it prompts for an unlocking code, then you may need to contact your telco (in which sold/ gave it to you) and ensure that you have the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) ready to give them, you can find the IMEI code on your phones battery compartment (excl. iphones) or the easiest way is to dial *#06# (from any mobile).

If your phone does need to be unlocked write down your IMEI code and have a pen and paper handy as it is usually a long code (and have need your phone ready as they may want to help you unblock it there and then), and it is possible that they may charge you to retrieve the code so have a card payment ready.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time here in Australia :-)

paul2
Level 5: Eagle Eye

i hope you enjoy your time here

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now