CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
WestQuarter
Level 1: Cadet

Moving services in the same building

Answered

I recently moved from one apartment to another in the same building and wanted to arrange the moving of my fibre services. (Bundled Phone/Internet/Foxtel). In all instances I've talked to the Fibre team as the general Telstra moving team are unable to move my services.

I first called Telstra 2 weeks prior to the move to get the wheels moving however the unit I was moving to already had Telstra services which they had at that point not arranged to be disconnected. As such the consultant I was talking to could only advise me to call back a week later and see if it had been done.

I called a week later and had a long conversion with another consultant. The tenants of the new apartment had arranged to have their services disconnected so this consultatnt made arrangements to move mine. She advised that the apartment I was moving to did not have an ONT box so a technician would need to be arranged. She got me to choose three appointment times between 28-30 August and advised that a case manager would call me back to confirm which appointment I would have. She also made a special note on my account to ensure that my current services were disconnected on the date I moved. All of this information she repeated back to me twice.

When I moved into the apartment I noticed that it actually did have an ONT box installed so I called Telstra back. This time the guy I talked to had to follow up with different business units and discovered that some system had not been updated to reflect that the unit already had an ONT box. He was unable to do it himself so left a message with the responsible team to get it done. He said something about the address needing to be "built into the system" after which time the services could be moved almost immediately. He promised to call me back by close of business the following day to let me know how everything was going.

As I hadn't heard anything back from anybody, I called Telstra 3 days later and another consultant told me that they were still waiting on some business unit to "build the address" which had not yet been done. I also got them to ensure that the services were disconnected from the old apartment and was advised that it was in progress.

2 days later I got a call from a telstra representative asking if I was still residing at the old apartment as the new tenants there wanted to get their services connected but couldn't because mine were still active. She asked why I hadn't arranged to get them moved. I relayed the story to her and she promised to follow it up urgently and resolve everything. She also promised to call me back by the end of the day to update me.

As she didn't call me, I called again that night and was told by yet another consultant that an appointment had been made for the 30th between 1.00-5.00pm for a technician to come and install the services. Nobody had ever called me to let me know. I also found out that my services had finally been disconnected from my former unit (or arranged to be done the following day).

Now during all this time, everyone I spoke to gave me assurances that they would personally handle my case and keep me updated during the entire process. The only phone call I've ever received was from someone wanting to know why I hadn't arranged to move my services. The other thing each consultant told me was that they were writing notes to my account to keep a running commentary of what's going on however each time I called I was placed on hold while the consultant called other business units to get information.

Incidentally, this morning when I phoned again the consultant told me that the order to move my services had only been requested (by me) yesterday so I would have to wait a further ten business days for the home phone and an additional five business days after that for the broadband. Both would require a technician to attend the property. When I told her what was going on she placed me on hold to again to check with other business units before returning and confirming that an appointment had already been arranged for the 30th.

I should also say that nobody has been able to confirm exactly what additional costs will be involved to move the services. All I've been told is the standard fees for each service and advised that there may be additional installation costs which a case manager will confirm.

Now I have no problems with any of the consultants. Each was helpful and reassuring. The issue I have is with the lack of communication within Telstra. I also don't have any issues with the original advice that an appointment would be made for a technician. What frustrates me is when I get told one day that I don't need a technician then told the next that I do. It also wasn't made clear whether the services could simply be moved at the push of a button (so to speak) or that I'd have to wait.

So this is what I want to know:

• If I'm moving from one apartment to another in the same building, and both have active fibre services, do I still need a technician to come? (this is assuming the services in the new apartment have been arranged to be moved etc)
  • What exactly is "building an address into the system"?
  • Do telstra staff actually have access to any notes that are placed on my account as I've been getting conflicting information each time I call?

As it stands, after first talking to Telstra 3 weeks ago, I'm still a week away (at this point) from getting my services moved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cad
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Moving services in the same building

Hi WestQuarter and welcome to CrowdSupport!

If there is an ONT in the apartment you are moving to and the previous tenant had services there - then no, you don't need a technician to come out. But from what you have said, ONT is present and the previous tenant had services, so it should be $69 for the homeline and broadband to be moved and the FOXTEL will be $150 plus $50 for additional box to be moved - a technician will be required for the FOXTEL to be moved. 

If there is an ONT present though, but this will be the first connection for the apartment, then you will be looking at $299 for the homeline to be connected, $55 to move the broadband, and $150 for the FOXTEL plus $50 per set top box you have. A FOXTEL technician will be required though. 

As for building an address into the systems, from personal experience, it would be one of the back end systems doesn't reflect the address of the apartment you're moving into - though I find it odd that if the previous tenant had services in that apartment, the address should be reflect in those systems. This can be fixed though - but it shouldn't take this long to confirm. I'm not too sure what the circumstances is for that address so I can't confirm the exact scenario down their end. 

Everytime you contact Telstra, there will be visible notes for all consultants to view - though it depends on whether the consultants actually leave notes on your account. The safest way to confirm this is to ask for an interaction reference number, which looks something along the lines of 1-############

I do hope this helps, and please if I have provided incorrect information, feel free to correct me!

(I used to work in Telstra Smart Communities and this would be based on the information from personal experience of these scenarios)

-------------------------------

My posts are strictly my own personal opinions or views, which doesn't represent Telstra in any form or way.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cad
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Hi WestQuarter and welcome to CrowdSupport!

If there is an ONT in the apartment you are moving to and the previous tenant had services there - then no, you don't need a technician to come out. But from what you have said, ONT is present and the previous tenant had services, so it should be $69 for the homeline and broadband to be moved and the FOXTEL will be $150 plus $50 for additional box to be moved - a technician will be required for the FOXTEL to be moved. 

If there is an ONT present though, but this will be the first connection for the apartment, then you will be looking at $299 for the homeline to be connected, $55 to move the broadband, and $150 for the FOXTEL plus $50 per set top box you have. A FOXTEL technician will be required though. 

As for building an address into the systems, from personal experience, it would be one of the back end systems doesn't reflect the address of the apartment you're moving into - though I find it odd that if the previous tenant had services in that apartment, the address should be reflect in those systems. This can be fixed though - but it shouldn't take this long to confirm. I'm not too sure what the circumstances is for that address so I can't confirm the exact scenario down their end. 

Everytime you contact Telstra, there will be visible notes for all consultants to view - though it depends on whether the consultants actually leave notes on your account. The safest way to confirm this is to ask for an interaction reference number, which looks something along the lines of 1-############

I do hope this helps, and please if I have provided incorrect information, feel free to correct me!

(I used to work in Telstra Smart Communities and this would be based on the information from personal experience of these scenarios)

-------------------------------

My posts are strictly my own personal opinions or views, which doesn't represent Telstra in any form or way.
WestQuarter
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. 

I spoke to someone yesterday who confirmed that the appointment has been made for next Thursday. He also confirmed I will have to pay the $299 for a "new" phone installation even though the unit has an ONT box. And I was fine to wear that cost and have arranged to take time off work to be here when the installer comes. 

Today I called on an unrelated matter and was told the appointment is now set for Friday morning. Again nobody bothered to call me and let me know. 

I'm really unhappy with the service I've received and would like to know if Telstra would consider waiving the installation costs. Has anyone else ever requested that and had it granted?

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

WestQuarter wrote: 

I'm really unhappy with the service I've received and would like to know if Telstra would consider waiving the installation costs. Has anyone else ever requested that and had it granted?

I can respect that you are unhappy with the service you have received. Whilst you are not contractually obligated to have the fee waived, If you ask nicely Telstra may consider reducing the fee or waiving it completely.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now