CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
FurryFingers
Level 1: Cadet

No cable wall socket but cable hanging out of wall

Hi,

I never had "cable internet" before so I thought this large black cable sticking out of the wall, was it.

But it doesn't fit the cable I received from Telstra after they confirmed cable is available to me.

What do I need to connect the Telstra Cable Modem to this - is it possible with an adapter of some kind or do I need a wall socket or do I not really have cable at all?

mycable3.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No cable wall socket but cable hanging out of wall

You need the Cable Adapter (the actual Cable Modem), that will be brought by the Technician when they come to do the installation.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
FurryFingers

cable Re: No cable wall socket but cable hanging out of wall

I have the actual cable modem - it was delivered to me.

The black cable coming out of the wall does not fit it - this is what I'm asking.

The cable that comes with the modem is male - this cable hanging out of the wall is male as well, so where do I go from there? This black cable also doesn't fit the modem directly either. I can't see any way to connect it.

I was told it will cost $240 to get a guy out here to look at it, if it's just a simple adapter needed, then I can perhaps do it myself.

Re: cable Re: No cable wall socket but cable hanging out of wall

Assuming that it is your HFC cable (although it looks more like a TV antenna connection as the HFC should be a wall socket), then an adapter would work.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
FurryFingers

Re: cable Re: No cable wall socket but cable hanging out of wall

Thanks yeah, it could be a TV antenna connection (I just don't have the experience to know) though there's already a wall socket for the TV antenna (you can see in the background of the image). So why they'd leave this cable sticking out, in addition to a TV antenna wall socket, is beyond my understanding.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now