CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Katff
Level 2: Rookie

Optus has given my telstra mobile number to someone else

I have had my number since March 2018. On Monday (29 April) evening I stopped receiving text messages from my husband. I soon worked out that I was not receiving any text messages or phone call – unless they come from a Telstra number, and that my text messages and phone calls were going to someone else.

I am 8.5 months pregnant and neither my husband, my family nor midwife can contact me and a stranger is receiving my private messages and phone calls. This is a huge breach of my privacy and is causing me quite a bit of stress.

I have spent hours on the phone with Telstra (ref - TT1-2013827124278) this week trying to resolve the problem. Telstra have sent an email to Optus. Telstra have said that they can’t do anything until they receive a response to their email and that the problem may not be resolved until Wednesday next week (8 May). As the Telstra technical team were unable to call Optus themselves to follow up on the email, today I contacted Optus who have asked the person who now has my number to relinquish the phone number – the person did not answer their calls nor did they respond to the text messages and Optus could not tell me what they would do if the person did not agree to give up my phone number.

Frankly the situation feels a bit helpless. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Optus has given my telstra mobile number to someone else

Hey Katff,

I can appreciate your concerns with having the mobile number ported out without your consent and do apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you Smiley Sad As we already have the trouble ticket in the system and assigned then this is the best team to assist with having this resolved on our end. 

When is the next contact from our team scheduled or arranged so that this can be worked on further? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Katff

Thanks. I was told I would be called on Wednesday, I asked to instead be called back on Monday morning at 9am. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that the Telstra team can do except for wait for a response from Optus, while a stranger receives my private messages and I can't be contacted.
Support Team
Support Team

Identity theft is not ideal and I do apologise that you have been a victim of this cybercrime Smiley Sad

We do have to run through the correct processes with the current provider so that we can get this mobile number back to you.

Let us know how you go with your contact on Monday?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Katff

Telstra complaints area called me this morning and let Optus have confirmed that there has been a double allocation of my phone number and have escalated the fix due to the related privacy and security issues. I asked to be updated either as soon as the issue is resolved or at 3pm this afternoon.

Over the weekend I received text and phone calls from third parties e.g. Uber as the person who has my phone number tried to set up accounts. Family members were unable to contact me to see how my pregnancy was going. And I have no idea if friends or others have tried to contact me via text messages to check in on me or tell me something. This continues to cause me quite a bit if stress. I am very hopeful that it will be resolved by the end of today.
Support Team
Support Team

I do apologise for the stress that this has caused, I appreciate the frustration you must be feeling.

There is a process involved in returning your number completely back to Telstra, and our team will need to liaise with Optus to get this done. Hopefully they can get this done today, but if the original time frame given was Wednesday, unfortunately you may have to wait until then.

Please keep me updated on how it goes.

-Kieran

Katff

I have not received the call back I was told I would get this afternoon. It's now been a week where a stranger has been using my number and I haven't been contactable. Again this is very stressful and frustrating. I find it very hard to believe that it can take a few moments port a number and this long to resolve the issue.
Support Team
Support Team

Unfortunately resolving this issue may be a little more complicated than a standard port, we do appreciate your patience while we work to get this sorted out for you. I am confident this will happen within the original Wednesday time frame that you've been advised. I do apologise if you were promised a call back today that has not come through.

-Kieran

Katff

I received a phonecall to update me at 6pm last night. I expect another update this morning.

The inability of the Telstra technical people to escalate this issue with Optus really surprises me. This is very worrying and stressful for me, but what if I was someone with carer responsibilities for an elderly person or a child/ren, what if this was my business number?

My sister has three children at two schools with numerous after school activities and previously her mobile number was her business number. Her business was caring for small children. It would not be possible to notify everyone of an alternative number.

There needs to be a quicker method for resolving this problem while I understand that it is rare.

It has now been more than one week that a stranger has been receiving my text messages and phone calls.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Unfortunately, the process is what the process is. What needs to happen is regulated by the ACMA and the procedure has to be followed. Telstra and Optus are not permitted take shortcuts with the process and it is Optus who has to do the vast majority of the legwork as they are the ones who allocated the number incorrectly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now