CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
EK008
Level 2: Rookie

Who's responsibility for Lead in Cable

Hello,

I am moving to a new property built by volume builder (e.g. Metricon, Henley etc). The builder did not install lead in cable between the property and Telstra pit. Instead the provide a conduit route (approximately 10m between the property and Telstra pit) and install in accordance with Telstra's standard and specification.

Making the matter more complicated, I currently have a contract with Dodo and have to transfer my contract to the new property. I have requested Dodo to organise the connection and is prepared to pay $299 for connection to new property. However, they advised that $299 only covers new connection but not installation of lead in cable. I have to get a "private technician" to pull the lead in cable as well as the madison box (i.e. telstra grey box outside the property). Since then, I have contacted Telstra but different reps gives me contradicting information.

To put the confusion to rest, I was wondering if there is any clear statement on Telstra's website stating who is responsibile to pull the cable between Telstra pit and property?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Who's responsibility for Lead in Cable

The exact process is a little different between providers, however for most providers on the Telstra Wholesale network, if you have the conduit in place then Telstra Wholesale will send out a tech to connect the madison box and connect you to the pit... The only thing above the $299 you should have from my understanding and from what I was told and experience when we recently finished building was that it was only if there was a significant distance between the house and the pit that 'excessive' cable may be charged but that would be confirmed by the technician.

But the information on the Telstra website is kinda unhelpful when you are connecting with Dodo as the information on the Telstra website is about the charges from Telstra Retail which only means people who connect directly.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

EK008

Thanks DrQwerty90,

According to Dodo they only charge what Telstra charges them for connection, hence $299 connection fee. The problem I have is that they keep telling me that $299 payment to Telstra does not cover lead in connection as you described.

I have contacted Telstra and the first rep told me to ask Dodo to raise the request (for connection to new property). with the understanding that lead in connection will be covered under $299. Dodo refused to do that and keep telling me that $299 does not cover lead in cable and I should go to a 3rd party technician. I then called Telstra again, this time the other rep told me that $299 does not cover lead in cable ... even if I am a Telstra customer.

I think everyone is confused ... even Telstra's rep. I just need something in writing to confirm the facts.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ian

The biggest problem is when you call Telstra you get Telstra Retail not Telstra Wholesale as they are separate companies (separate due to the Structural Separation Undertaking agreement between Telstra and the Gov.) and as such information can be a little hard as different providers can have different agreements with Telstra Wholesale who aren't actually allowed to talk to customers of any ISP, only the ISPs themselves...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

EK008

Thanks for responding. Let my put this the other way. Hypothetically speaking, will Telstra cover the lead in cable connection under the $299 connection fee IF I am a Telstra customer?

Regards,
Ian

From what I was told when I had mine connected recently and what I was actually charged for, yes, the $299 is everything on a standard install...
Helpful Links

EK008

Thanks again. That's what I thought.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now