CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
PoppyLou
Level 1: Cadet

Why do I have to pay $89 to move house, when no line work is required?

Answered

We have just moved house 5 minutes down the road.  We had an existing bundle of home phone + ADSL at our old house, and transferred the same to the new house.  Same phone number and everything.  Same modem, we took it all and just hooked it up.  I am curious to know why we were charged $89 for this privilege?  Seems like an outright money grab.  No work on the lines was required at all, no technician.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Why do I have to pay $89 to move house, when no line work is required?

If it had required a Technician's visit it would have cost you around $125 and if cabling works were needed it would have shot up to almost $300.

You are forgetting that work needs to be done at the other end of the line, just not at your house. The cost of that work has to be covered.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero

There is a cost involved in processing the order from Telstra's end. There are also sunk costs on the network that have to be repaid across the customer base in the form of connection fees.

The current $89 combined fee is actually cheaper than it's been in a very long time, when you used to have to pay a minimum of $59 of the phone + internet as well.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Accepted Solution

If it had required a Technician's visit it would have cost you around $125 and if cabling works were needed it would have shot up to almost $300.

You are forgetting that work needs to be done at the other end of the line, just not at your house. The cost of that work has to be covered.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now