CrowdSupport®
TLM2
Level 2: Rookie

Shared data

You know it never ceases to amaze me how when you want to change your data/phone  plan especially when you want to pay less for more data how it will cost you as and I quote "You have a contract" .But they can send you a random sms saying oh sorry from end of June you can no longer share data between phones and mobile Wi-Fi on your account. We have a contract til next year. How can they change the rules. It certainly does not benefit the consumer. So angry.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
A_Unit

Re: Shared data

Absolutely Agree. This must be a breach of contract. Love the Telstra spin

To keep your business up-to-date and provide great connectivity, occasionally we need to change older products and services. We wanted to let you know about the following update as soon as possible.”

As if they are doing us a favour. Will be talking to telecommunications ombudsman about this one! Suggest everyone else affected do the same.

A_Unit

Also contact your local MP. Especially for rural and remote small business “customers” like us who rely on our mobile plans for data as we have no other options.
MAS-762
Level 1: Cadet

Well I'm bloody furious. Yes we also have a contract, but it seems Telstra can change them at a whim.... and we have to suck it up.

We use our shared data sims for gps. So now I've got to find an alternative. I won't be taking up Telstra on it's "generous" offer of paying $120 extra for each sim we use. 

The email I received started with "To keep your business up-to-date and provide great connectivity". What **bleep** came up with that bull**bleep**.

TLM2

Well we went into our local business centre this morning and you need to pay $5 a month for the privilege of keeping the SIM so  you can share data. As we have a contract that they are breaking not us we cannot go on another data plan which now gives double the data. Seems breach of contract only work in their favour.

A_Unit

If you wish to terminate your contract, then I believe you have very solid grounds as Telstra are not providing the same service that you agreed upon in the contract. Talk to the telecommunications ombudsman’s office, they are very helpful. From their position statement on the tio website;

“Providing a service for the full length of a contract

A provider should enter into a fixed term contract of a particular length with a consumer only when it has reasonable expectations that it can provide the service for the full term of the contract. If a provider can no longer provide what it contracted to provide, it should release the consumer with no exit fee, or offer another service that suits the need of the consumer.”

ADVT
Level 1: Cadet

Same happened to us! Sat with a Telstra business representative and took his advice to upgrade our business plane on contract for more data to share between our business iPads only to get a text saying they’re disconnecting them! This is false and misleading representation ! Surely they cannot get away with this s*#t! Definitely submitting a formal complaint to the telecommunications ombudsman.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

I would recommend lodging a complaint here first:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

If you don't lodge a complaint directly with the company then the ombudsman is typically required to bounce you back to the company you are complaining about. Typically the rule is you have to try and resolve it directly with the company and if you are unable to come to a resolution then the ombudsman is there to help further.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now