CrowdSupport®
PerthPhil
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Privacy - Genuine or White Noise?

Some 12 months ago, a colleague and friend departed and moved his mobile (in the company name) to another entity. 

Last month, during an attempt to resolve some unrelated billing issues, I discovered that I can still see all of his current and historical unbilled activity (metadata including outbound call number, duration, originating suburb, and same for SMS and Internet packet data).

I tried raising this with Telstra through chat to no avail, didn't seem to care or even believe me. I then tried lodging through Telstra Privacy form and a week later, still nothing back from them.  

Sure this could be an isolated incident, but if not then employees leaving a company (who had their phone paid for by and in the company name whilst in their employ) should know that their former employer could continue to be able to see unbilled activity for years to come.  

Previously Telstra (accidentally) sent me a list of 2300 customers who had visited a store and completed a satisfaction survey including full name, address, billing details, plan details, mobile number and email address, employee ID who dealt with the issue and survey response data.

When I raised it with them, the initial response was, sorry - ignore it. A follow up chat was unsuccessful and I was told sorry there was nothing anyone could do and no process to address this.

Certainly doesn't sound like Telstra is taking privacy seriously...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra Privacy - Genuine or White Noise?

That's really disappointing, Phil. Thanks for coming through and letting us know. Did you have a reference number for that privacy report you lodged? - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PerthPhil

SR 1-2233803618393

SR 1-2242318181473

OIAC: CP19/02661

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks, Phil. I've used those details to email your case manager and her supervisor, requesting this be chased up, and that you be contacted as a priority. Please let us know the outcome of their investigations; I'd like to know we've identified the underlying issue, and are revisiting our processes accordingly. - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

PerthPhil

Thanks Matty C - still nothing back from Telstra yet regarding the complaint

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updates, PerthPhil - I've emailed the case manager in question and her team leader asking for a follow-up call once she's available next to help get this sorted out.

PerthPhil

Still nothing Greg - not a call or email.  Telstra has gaping hole in it's privacy where employees with personal phones paid for in company account, who leave and take their phones with them have a right to have their old company not be able to snoop on their calls.  I had an employee leave my organisation and 12 months later I can still see every call he makes and the metadata (number, time, location etc...) for every text he makes - even right now - TODAY!  After raising it with Telstra probably six weeks ago. 

I raised it as a complaint and also a privacy complaint, but nothing. Tumbleweeds.  I can't raise with OIAC as I am not the aggrieved party here, but have strongly encouraged ex employee to do so. I mean WOW!!!

Support Team
Support Team

Appreciate your patience, Phil. Has your ex-colleague received any correspondence from us on this? - Matthew. 

PerthPhil

MattyC - He also has received no communication from Telstra. 

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting me know, I have escalated your complaint. If you don't hear back by close of business Friday please come back to us on Crowd support and we can further follow up. 

PerthPhil

Still nothing back so I contacted Michael Ackland directly...  One of his trouble shooters is looking into it. Pretty damning indictment of Telstra's approach to privacy really.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now