CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
hanjay
Level 2: Rookie

Use Different DNS settings for Domain and Webhost

Is it possible to change my DNS servers so i can direct a domain to a non-telstra Web Host where our website will be hosted. 

While at the same time keep the emails with telstra with the same domain. 

I can do this with other hosting companies but there seems to be no support on directing the DNS of a domain to other web host (like all other companies provide) 

Can you please assist further. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Re: Use Different DNS settings for Domain and Webhost

This can definitely be done.
The problem is I don't currently have access to the Telstra domain management portal and can't really guide you.
Is there any chance you can upload some screenshots of the DNS/Zone file related pages?
What you're looking for is changing the A and CNAME records for the domain, but leaving the MX records intact.

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
hanjay

As its for a client, i have changed their domain to insertdomainhere for public privacy. so as you see here, i need to directly click in to change each setup. 

Main Domain Name:
Domain Name:Trace insertdomainhere.com.au
Get IP Address from:Local MAIL Server
Function:Change Domain Setup

WWW Domain Name:
Domain Name:Trace www.insertdomainhere.com.au
Get IP Address from:External IP Address
External IP Address:Trace svc791.bne002m.server-mail.com
Function:Change WWW Domain Name Setup

FTP Domain Name
Domain Name:ftp.insertdomainhere.com.au
Get IP Address from:External IP Address
External IP Address:svc791.bne002m.server-mail.com
Function:Change FTP Domain Name Setup

MAIL Domain Name (not MX):
Domain Name:mail.insertdomainhere.com.au
Get IP Address from:Local MAIL Server
Function:Change MAIL Domain Name Setup
hanjay

any help on above?

Smiley Happy

The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Main domain name (which is your naked or root or headless domain - whichever term you wish to use) should have the A record pointing to your website host's IP address.

WWW domain name can be an A record pointing to the same domain name.  It should really be a CNAME record though.

In all honesty, you should copy down the MX records (call Business support to confirm them) and create a free Cloudflare account and setup the domain in there.  Once you have all the records in place, update the NameServers (NS's) in Telstra's Mission Control.  Cloudflare is a very useful DNS service that can offer domain security by hiding A records and the like, but it can also protect your site accounts DDOS attacks and provide site performance enhancements by using a form of CDN.

I'm not 100% sure you can do this with Telstra's Mission Control, so if you need help, feel free to PM me and we can discuss some consulting on me giving you a little more help.

Regards - Reece

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
crimsonretrieve
Level 1: Cadet

Hi guys,

I found this thread in a Google search looking for an answer to the same problem.

Basically I'm building a website for a client and have used the Squarespace platform. However, to connect the domain, Squarespace only allocates CNAME and A records.

But the problem is that in the domain setting for my client here in Telstra MIssion COntrol, I can only enter DNS nameserver settings to point their domain to another host.

Is there anywhere I can go in and change the protocol so that Telstra will accept CNAME/A records to point to my host?

Cheers,

David

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi crimsonretrieve

If this is part of a Telstra Internet Direct service, then you would request these changes by logging a job in Mission Control.

If you have a T-Suite service such as Office 365 then call us on 1800 TSUITE (1800 878 483).

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now