CrowdSupport®
Sharkies
Level 2: Rookie

Display issues in full screen

Hi  i recent moved to an android phone and found that in full screen

1) the play/pause buttons sit outside of the screen

2) Also my Android controls are still visible

3) i expected the video to take up the entire screen. 

This does not happen for youtube or netflix.

I tried the nrl app with my friend's android phone of a different brand and the same occurs for his.

I have the latest NRL android version of the app. 

Can someone help with this?

Screenshot_20191115_201557.jpgNetflix. No problems with the android controls

Screenshot_20191115_201635.jpgNrl. See the play button and my android controls on the right. The android buttons are permanently displayed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Display issues in full screen

What device are you using? 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 25: The Singularity

Yes, my Note10+5G is exhibiting the same behaviour. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Sharkies

Hi DrQ, i am using the Vivo S1. My friend is using a Sony mobile phone. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

Thanks for your message, apologies for the inconvenience watching video in the NRL App.

I was able to replicate the issue on my Pixel 3, however I can 'just' click on play/pause.

It appears possible the controls are configured for devices with a 'notch', without a notch then

controls cannot be accessed.

I have escalated the issue to the support team, but as this is the time of year many of the NRL/AFL

support team are on leave, it may not be a quick fix.

Once I get an update I will let you know, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Sharkies

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your response. Glad to know I am not the only one facing this issue and it isn't specific to a mobile phone brand. 

My phone has a notch and this still happened so I am not entirely certain the notch is related though i may be truly wrong!

I previously used an iphone and i also noticed that i can view the time counter on the video (for non-live video) but this is not there in the android versions. I found having that is useful.

i note your comments about it being the off-season and people are away. 

I look forward to further updates on this issue from yourself.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

I have had confirmation from the support team that the issue has now been raised with the developers of the

NRL App.

Hopefully this means they can get it sorted ASAP, but once I know more I will provide another update.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

The App developers have identified the issue and are working on a fix, however the issue

will need to be corrected with an update for the NRL App.

The next update is scheduled for a December release, so we have a few weeks possibly until fixed. Once I see the App update has been released I will let you know so we can check and make sure everything is working correctly.

Sharkies

Hi Aaron, Thanks for the update. That is very much appreciated.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

I have just updated the NRL App and now have full control again of videos in landscape, could you please check as well?

@aaron_h I just updated the app on my Note10+5G and you still can't access the Play/Pause control in full screen mode.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Jupiter 

Tap the screen to pause, tap again to play!

That doesn't work. Tapping only brings up and hides the the indicator at the bottom of the screen for where you are in the video stream.

If you go in to the Display settings on the phone and tell it to hide the camera cutout, it allows you to access the pause/play control (but you can still only see half of it).

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Jupiter ,

I will escalate again to let them know. First tap of the screen for me brings up the indicator,

it's then that you can tap to pause and again to play.

Can I confirm that you are on Version 4.4.4(1714447)?

(More>Settings)

First tap brings up indicator, second tap hides it again.

I am on Version 4.4.9(1714449).

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Jupiter 

I was on version 4.4.7, which was released yesterday and did appear to fix the video issue.

4.4.9 has since been released, and has brought the issue back. Once I get some answers

I will let update this thread, thanks for letting us know.

Sounds like a classic case of "Leapfrog Updates". They need to consolidate the update file.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies and @Jupiter,

I have had an update from our support team.

The update for the NRL App released yesterday (4.4.7) did resolve the issue affecting play/pause functions, however it caused issues

with other features/functions within the NRL App.

Because of that, we have had to rollback to a previous version, bringing back the play/pause issue.

A further update to correct these issues is intended on being released next week sometime, hopefully that will finally fix the problem.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Jupiter and @Sharkies,

I gave it a week or two to make sure, but the update has been applied and the new controls

do appear to be working correctly for pausing videos in landscape.

Thanks for your patience, please let me know if you notice anything else.

Happy New Year!

Sharkies

Hi aaron, sorry for being MIA as i am on an overseas holiday. I am still overseas. 

As the google play store recognises i am overseas i am only able to view apps in my destination country. I have to wait until i am back in australia to be able to update the NRL app. 

I will update again when i return in mid Jan 2020. 

Thanks again for following up on my request. 

Sharkies

Hi @aaron_h , i am back in australia now. I have checked the controls and yes they are displaying appropriately now. Thanks so.much for helping with this!

I would like to ask something else in reagrds to display. I have chosen the setting on my phone to display the concave area (aka notch) of the phone ie to utilise the entire screen. 

However the videos (including interviews and match replays) still have a black border on the left and right during playback. Do you encounter this issue? I have attached a screenshot.Screenshot_20200125_101359.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

Glad to hear the videos are working correctly again.

For longer screens there will be a black border around the video, depending on the ratio of the

of the screen itself, as well as what ratio the video is recorded/broadcast in.

Video content in the NRL Live App is not adjusted to cater for the notch on devices that have one, I have passed

on your feedback to the developers, it may be something addressed in future updates. 

Sharkies

@aaron_h , thanks again for answering my queries. That would be a good feature to have. The main reason i switched from my iphone se to a larger screen phone is to have a bigger screen to watch the footy on public transport. 

I do hope the tech guys can sort something out in that regard.

As always thanks for your responses!

The problem is that if the video is adjusted to fit the full width of the screen, you will then cut off the top and bottom of the video.  This means you will actually miss seeing a lot of the action.

This is because the broadcast standards use a 16:9 screen ratio,  whereas the phones are moving to ratios between 18:9 and 19:9.

Sharkies

@aaron_h hi aaron, the new android app does not display any live video. I am trying to watch the 9s but it is a black screen. The new app also does not allow screenshots so i cannot show you. But essentially it is just a black screen. 

Do you face this issue?

It's working on mine (video and screenshots). Did you update the app?Screenshot_20200215-080215_NRL.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

Sorry to see there are still issues, did you check for an update like Jupiter suggested? 

There was an update released last week.

Are you able to access any video?

Also ensure that you have the correct time zone set, or auto-time set, as we do monitor what state

you are in, if this is incorrect the App will block content.

Please let us know how you go, hopefully we can get it working, however as previously stated as the device

is not supported, there may be some features it is unable to access no matter what we do.

Sharkies

@aaron_h  and @Jupiter 

I think this relates to the issues of the 9s broadcast on friday.

I have the most up-to-date version of the app. Now the issue I face for videos is having to press play video, get a blank screen, click "x" and then press play again to get it correct.

I will test it again in a couple of days to see if it still occurs.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Sharkies,

I at first thought that it may be related to the technical outage experienced on Friday night,

but your post was made hours before any outage occurred, and the issue was resolved within an hour.

There will be another major update prior to the season commencing, this may assist.

Sharkies

You are right. It may not be related as I didn't face the issue with the app on my Apple Ipad. My android app seems to work now except for the need to press play, exit and press play again.

Hopefully the next update fixes it, I will try again when I get home.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit