xyzzyx
Level 3: Gumshoe

Live streaming no longer works - please rectify ASAP

• There is no reason location services needs to be enabled in order to provide live streaming.
  • Telstra's offer of free access to NRL Live did not mention any requirement to have location services enabled. This new, unnecessary requirement is a material change to the offer made by Telstra.
  • Therefore Telstra is guilty of misleading its customers as to the nature of its provision of free access to NRL Live.
  • Please update this app immediately to remove the requirement to have location services enabled.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Live streaming no longer works - please rectify ASAP

Hi @xyzzyx

Thank you for your post. 

The NRL Live App has always required access to your location, as per the terms and conditions

Live match videos are only available to users watching in Australia and may be delayed in your location based on the NRL's broadcast schedule.

When you subscribe to the NRL Live Pass or an in-app subscription you agree as the relevant mobile service account holder, to Telstra and its agents collecting and using the location of your mobile handset to provide you with live match videos.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

xyzzyx

That is simply not true. Up until the most recent update of the app, I have never had to have my phone's location services turned on to access live streaming (this has been on both Windows and Android phones) and there is no legitimate reason you need to have me turn that on.

If Telstra wants to know my location, it can already work it out by virtue of the fact that the phone is connected to the Telstra network. The fact that I am connected to the Telstra network also proves that I am in Australia, which is the only location information you actually need to know on the assumption that you are restricted to providing streaming within Australia.

So again, please return this app to its previous functionality. Otherwise the chances of my phone being connected to the Telstra network for much longer are about zero.

Level 21: Augmented

@xyzzyx wrote:

So again, please return this app to its previous functionality. Otherwise the chances of my phone being connected to the Telstra network for much longer are about zero.

Do you really think that Telstra would consider any changes to it's policies just based on your threat above? Don't make us laugh, please...

And for the location information - there are so many ways to fool apps to think that the user is in given country (VPN anyone!!!) that I am not surprised that Telstra is resorting to location information... If people stopped cheating, Telstra and other providers would not to go this far... Blame yourself cheaters - sorry to you @xyzzyx if you are one of the honest ones, but that's the reality... Unfortunately...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

@xyzzyx  it looks like (the geo-location thing) is due to some weird/ convoluted contractual arrangements that have been made with Nine and FoxSports.

an example might be say if;

FoxSports has streaming rights to WA, NT, SA, Coco and Christmas Islands

Nine has streaming rights to Tas,Vic, NSW, Queensland and ACT.

hope that helps.

i wonder if @ForensicsGuru  applies his same "cheating the system" options to the Major Corporations that had been screwing us over on price differences for digital downloads with Geo-Location barriers???  I believe Microsoft and a few others were in front of a senate enquiry awhile back for just that exact thing.

personally I dont really care, but then i stopped bothering with apps because they want more info than they need to perform the service they are meant to be providing.

telstra knows my calls and texts are local (im bearly out of my local area more than 10kms)

my browser on the other hand thinks im in Indonesia 98% of the time, think my wife said i was in Brazil a couple of times and im fine with that, maybe its a chinese phone thing.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Level 24: Supreme Being

That is correct. AFL/NRL both made deals which only gives Telstra rights within Australia, as it doesn’t have to be used on the mobile network and wifi networks can be so easily concealed as above that I assume location services was deemed the only appropriate option to help ensure compliance.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @xyzzyx @cretsiah

As per my previous response, the NRL Live App requiring access to your location is not a new feature.

The NRL Live App has always required access to your location.

This is advised in the terms and conditions you accept upon subscribing and has not changed. 

Live match videos are only available to users watching in Australia and may be delayed in your location based on the NRL's broadcast schedule.

When you subscribe to the NRL Live Pass or an in-app subscription you agree as the relevant mobile service account holder, to Telstra and its agents collecting and using the location of your mobile handset to provide you with live match videos.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

@DrQ acually I really thought it might have had something more to do with Rupert Murdoch's "Kerry Packer Stunt"

Rupert Murdoch tried doing to the NRL what kerry Packer did to Cricket Australia

Kerry Packer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_Cricket
Rupert Murdoch - Rugby A League (cant find the details on it though)

now thats going back a bit lol
Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
xyzzyx

@Kjorg 

And as I said, I have never had to have location services turned on prior to the most recent update in order to view live streaming. Are these reviews on the Google Play store also wrong?

google play nrl live reviews.jpg

Again, stop lying about the previous functionality of this app and please restore its previous functionality. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for Telstra to require location services be turned on for this app.

I can't comment on the Android version as I have never installed the app on an android device, however, I know that the iOS version has asked me for location services to be enabled each of the last few seasons that we have had the free footy passes for now. 

The only thing I could think is that it may be like the chromecast feature, which while disabled in the app was overwritten by some peoples devices and they were able to use it, causing them to complain about it being 'removed' when it was never an approved feature but a glitch that allowed it to work on some devices/manufacturers/firmware. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @xyzzyx

I have reached out to the technical team for some further clarification on this. 

They have advised that although the option to allow the NRL Live App to access your location are available, they are optional.

So not allowing the NRL Live App to access your location should not impact your ability to watch the live stream. 

The tech team have asked some follow up question so they can investigate further - if you can please get back to me with the below. 

If you choose no when the NRL Live App asks for access to your location - what happens?

Do you get an error message when you try to access the live stream if your location is off? (I know you may not be able to check this until this evening) 

Are you able to provide any screenshots of what happens/any error messages? 

What device are you using to access the NRL Live App? (mobile/tablet, make/model etc) 

What version of Android is your device running? 

xyzzyx

I have since found that turning location services on once and starting the live stream has allowed me to watch even with location services turned off. I trust I will not have to do this each time the app is updated.

For reference, if I didn't allow it it would simply freeze when trying to start a live stream. The error message (Android 8.1) was "NRL Live has stopped working".

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now