CrowdSupport®
Support Team
Support Team

NRL App with Airplay and screen mirroring

Hi everyone,

We have heard your feedback regarding Apple AirPlay and other screen mirroring options for mobile devices. Airplay Mirroring and any form of external video output of streamed content is not permitted and is not provided as part of any NRL Live Pass. If this has been working up to this point, it was not an intended feature and has been disabled for more than 12 months for live games.

Under our digital rights agreement with the NRL, broadcasts are restricted to the screen devices upon which they are sold (i.e.: iOS or Android smartphone or tablet) and current screen size.

Live streams are restricted to max screen size of 7” diagonally. This is as per Telstra digital rights agreement with NRL. Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size, including through AirPlay and other external outputs.

If you need any further assistance with this, please post below.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
thedriver
Level 2: Rookie

Re: NRL App with Airplay and screen mirroring

I can't see anything about this in the Customer Terms relating to use of the NRL app:

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf/consumer/infoservices.pdf

And the links from the NRL app on the Google Play store don't provide any further information:

...Oh and I can't see any information regarding your above information on the NRL site either.

The closest I can find is: https://help.nrl.com/display/NKB/Changes+to+NRL+Live+Pass+in+2018#expand-Whatarethechangestothe2018N...

Further, your comment about 7" maximum screen size is somewhat dubios when I read this: 

"https://help.nrl.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=25887842#expand-WhatarethesupporteddevicesforNRLLi..."

It clearly states that it is supported and tested on the ZTE V96a and Samsung Note 10.1, both 10" screens.

And there's no listed support for the current generation or previous generation of phones sold by Telstra (nothing since Samsung Galaxy S5).

It seems that customer's don't actually find out what their rights are with regards to the NRL pass until they've already signed up.

KnightAl
Level 1: Cadet

Couldn't agree more thedriver It's just plain greed and mean. Just as well its a free app as I couldn't justify having to pay for it. Actually I very rarely use now with all the restrictions.
BrockPoundstone

I used to have foxtel just to watch NRL. But I got rid of it because for the last couple of years I could just screen mirror the live game from my phone to the TV. Now you take away this feature. Why?
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you go to nrl.com/livepass, at the bottom of the NRL App section it says:
"NRL Live Pass excludes live streaming of the Grand Final and State of Origin. Live streaming limited to 7” viewing size"
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jesus69
Level 2: Rookie

This just shows there is no advantage in using this app anymore Telstra continue to provide bad service and now not point of difference on mobile services anymore well done Telstra with a bit of luck you will disappear in to the back ground and we will use company's that don't charge for services they cant provide Telstra always charge a premium for the services but never provide a premium service thankfully i only have a couple of months to go on my contract then bye bye Telstra for good

PhlNDREWS

Except it was available all last season and there is no reason for it not to be. The NBL, NFL, Netball, Baseball and Soccer apps all allow playing the screen through airplay.

Clearly this is more about you trying to push people into getting foxtel.

You guys are dogs

Dr_Edge

I was very disappointed to receive information today that this years NRL live pass won't provide coverage of the State Of Origin games or the Grand Final game.
I feel misled and feel like I am not being provided with the usual product. Maybe yhey should rename it to be NRL Live Pass Lite.
It is the same promotion every year that made me sign up to Telstra but I have been provided with a lesser product that I have
Only now been made aware of months later. Very poor treatment of the customers of Telstra.
Dr_Edge

This is a change from the last years coverage available from this Telstra promotion and App. The first I was aware of this lack of service was when I opened the App today. No changes of this importance was made obvious to me prior to today.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Dr_Edge

Thank you for your enquiry and my apologies that you're disappointed with the NRL Live Pass. 

It was advised via the terms and conditions and NRL.com earlier this year that due to changes in the NRL Digital Rights agreement from 2018 to 2022, the NRL Grand Final and the three games of the State of Origin Series will not be available to live stream via NRL Live Pass on the NRL Official App. This was followed up by an in-app message for all users. 

The State of Origin can be accessed via 9now

https://www.9now.com.au/state-of-origin/2018

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BigBen101

Well... Okay... But I have one question; why?
Why would you make a deal that robs fans of showing the game in its best form on a larger screen? If you pay for access to stream the game live surely you should be able to watch it anyway you like...? The American and UK sports give you full streaming access without regard for the screen you intend to watch when you pay for a subscription, The NHL, NBA, MLB NFL, premier league seem to do just fine from this model, there numbers for use of these services are higher...
but then again they are offering a better service... Maybe if a better service was offered here more people would pay for a subscription (just sayin') and the NRL and AFL would come into line with world's best practice for sports live streaming.

Next, is there an expectation that we will pay extra for state of origin or grand final access? These games are free to air, so why would we? Oh... Wait a minute... I get it, companies like channel 9 and Fox Sports want to artificially inflate their viewing numbers around these games so that they can sell advertising for more $$$, well... I'm sure they were only thinking of the fans and the best for the game when they made that deal (I hope my sarcasm is self evident) the corporates are also probably trying to show how strong their viewership is to use as a negotiation tactic for the rights to show the game when they next come up for bid, not a bad ploy but I'm sure the NRL would actually do better selling the game directly to the consumer through their app (again like the US model) I wonder what it would take for the NRL to realise that they don't need to make these kinds of ridiculous concessions to have companies pay 1 billion + for the rights. If you are listening NRL I would happily pay you directly for a subscription to the game with no ads... You know... like Netflix or watching it through an app on Apple TV (like the US sports!).... Food for thought I suppose...

If I had a paid subscription and then found out these facts in the small print I think my anger level would be reasonably high... But I get it for free... so I guess I don't really care... But I think if it is too complicated or expensive to watch a game that I want to see.. Then I guess I just won't watch it... In the end encouraging people to 'not watch' is the opposite direction that you want to go...

Commercial TV abused the viewer for decades by broadcasting 2nd rate viewing and competing with one another for ratings so that they could sell their advertising for more dollars than the other guy... then came Netflix... Giving the people what they wanted and charging for it... And we happily paid... Could only be a matter of time till our favourite sports go the same way, the SOONER the BETTER.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now